Care element in Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Care element in Universal Credit

Options
Pat2024
Pat2024 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi. My husband and I applied for Universal Credit. At the moment I received old style contribution ESA support group and I already be awarded with the LCWRA element. My husband is a self employed. He earn an average of 1500 to 1600 monthly. He look after me more than 35 hours per week but he never applied for care allowance because we knew it would affect my ESA. We pay mortgage, so we don't need the housing benefit. I think for April 2024 the Universal Credit for couples without housing element is 
£ 617.60
Plus £ 406 of LCWRA and
£190 care element ( supposly)

I read that 35 hours ×11.44 ( April 2024) is £1735 MIF ( minimum income floor) but for people who look after a disable couple there is not MIF ( is this correct?)

So please can you help me to calculate our Universal Credit award approximately?
Also, what would you recommend us, to apply for care element or not?.  This care element will affect my ESA?
 I don't understand how this work in this case.
Please can you help me with this?. Tomorrow is my husband appointment and I am unsure if it is better to no add the care element for my husband or it is better to do it?

I will appreciate your help.
Regards
Patty 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,677 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 12
    Options
    As I advised on your other thread here uc-migration-questions because you're claiming daily living PIP then he can claim carers element for looking after you. He will need to log into his journal and report caring for you. Your UC will then increase by £189.31/month. It will not affect your ESA.

As a carer then he will have no work commitments so the MIF will not apply, which I did advise on your other thread linked above. 

Before you claimed UC he wouldn't have been able to claim carers allowance anyway because his earnings were over the maximum amount allowed. It wouldn't have affected your ESA if he could have claimed it. 

I'm afraid I can't tell you what your total UC entitlement will be because you migrated from Tax credits. I do not know what the figures were when you were claiming that and if your UC entitlement is less than the Tax credits then you will be entitled to Transitional Protection and I can't tell you exactly what if anything that will be. You will need to wait for your first statement for UC. Though your UC will include standard allowance, LCWRA and carers element. 

Please also note that the figures quoted above by myself and you are the April Increase amounts and your first UC payment will be for the old amounts before the increase. When you will start to receive the increased amounts will depend on what date your UC payment is usually paid. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.