Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

working with disabilities

Options
Bethanc
Bethanc Community member Posts: 2 Listener
does anyone else feel its harder to get a job when you are disabled? I have two degrees and I do a lot  of volunteer work but i cant seem to get a paid position even when its similar to what i already do for free I  get that  I dont have a lot of  employment experience but how do you get experience if nobody hires you in the first place  I worry about whether i can become financially independent its depressing 

Comments

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 561 Pioneering
    edited April 14
    Options
    @Bethanc welcome to Scope.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggle in finding a paid position, especially when you're caught in the 'need experience to get a job, need a job to get experience' cycle.

When discussing your experience in an interview, it's important to demonstrate how your skills align with the job requirements. Begin by acknowledging any concerns the interviewer may have about your experience, showing that you understand their perspective.

Transition into discussing relevant experiences, such as volunteer work or academic projects, that have equipped you with skills relevant to the job. Emphasise your ability to quickly learn and adapt to new situations, as these qualities are highly valued. Express your enthusiasm for the role, highlighting your dedication and eagerness to contribute.

Ensure you effectively showcase your volunteer work on your CV and during interviews. Highlight transferable skills, leadership roles, accomplishments, and any impact you've had. Treat this experience as you would any professional job, detailing its relevance to the roles you're applying for.

Seek guidance from someone in your desired field who can review your CV and offer advice on breaking into the industry. They may also have connections that could lead to job opportunities.

If you've had interviews but haven't been successful, ask for feedback. This can provide valuable insights into areas you might need to improve or things you could highlight better in future applications.

Don't be discouraged by the focus on direct experience. Your academic achievements and volunteer activities have already built a foundation of valuable skills that are transferable to many professional roles. Every interview is a learning opportunity and a chance to improve. Keep pushing forward, stay persistent, and believe in your potential. Your determination and resilience will open doors and lead you to the right opportunity.

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,911 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Bethanc, welcome to the community. Sorry to hear you're not having much luck finding a job. I can understand the frustration, it's really rubbish going through all the applications and feeling like you're not getting anywhere despite having relevant experience from your volunteering.

Scope have a some employment services you might be interested in, I know a few people have found them really helpful. There's also a list of disability friendly employers and job boards that you might like to read through.

What kind of work are you hoping to get into?
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • EssenceButterfly66
    EssenceButterfly66 Scope Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Bethanc said:
    does anyone else feel its harder to get a job when you are disabled? I have two degrees and I do a lot  of volunteer work but i cant seem to get a paid position even when its similar to what i already do for free I  get that  I dont have a lot of  employment experience but how do you get experience if nobody hires you in the first place  I worry about whether i can become financially independent its depressing 
    It can be hard, even when u see applications where the Employer is 'Disability Confident', still don't get the job. I have found that my Careers Wales has funding for self employment or social enterprise. Maybe this might be the way, with ur vast experience and explore gaps with ur skills to set this up 
  • EssenceButterfly66
    EssenceButterfly66 Scope Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I have to attend Kidney Dialysis 3 times a week. I have tried to find work, but Employers are more recently ghosting me and not giving feedback. I know I have done well at interview, but they're are not willing to accommodate me and do not understand that if I don't attend Dialysis, I would die. If I had cancer, I would be more employable, no offence. 
    Up until Jan 2024, hybrid work or Work from Home was easy to find. Not anymore. 
    So, I am waiting to hear from a part time work placement, even though I have alot experience. Reduction in Pay, to become employable. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,149 Scope online community team
    Options
    Welcome to the community @EssenceButterfly66 sorry to hear you've not had much luck on the work front.  The jobs sector currently is in a sorry state, but there are work from home jobs out there, it unfortunately takes a while finding them. Best of luck for the placement! 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Bethanc
    Bethanc Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    i seem to get a lot of interviews but afterwards  either hear nothing ever again or they say they chose someone with more experience I do think my lack of experience / confidence is a factor but sometimes I think its at least partially because I have cerebral palsy and they want a reason to say no after seeing that the only paid job i got was as a  waitress ?? which of course I was terrible at because cerebral palsy and i would drop things and  people would laugh at me bad time! 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,223 Scope online community team
    Options
    Afternoon @bethanc. I'm so sorry to read about your waitressing experience, I can't imagine that's helped your confidence at all.
    Unfortunately, at least from my own experience, there does seem to be a high volume of applicants for every job role advertised, so it's really finding a way to make yourself stand out. Have you done much interview preparation ahead of these interviews? I don't know if you've tried before, but sometimes you can request to speak with the interviewer afterwards to ask for more specific feedback so you can know where you might be able to strengthen future applications too.

I'd also say not to be afraid of asking for reasonable adjustments for your interview too! They can really help applicants feel more confident which can change a good interview into a great one.

What kind of jobs are you interested in?

Community Manager
    Scope
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.