Reasonable adjustments in hospitality re: hours — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reasonable adjustments in hospitality re: hours

Options
effyoddly
effyoddly Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 16 in Work and employment
I’ve worked in hospitality most of my life, only in the last 5 years or so have I begun getting diagnosis and support for what I always struggled with and i’ve been at my current place of work for two years now! Never made it past a year anywhere else, most often a few months. 

I have adhd/autism as well as other metal health conditions and I’m diagnosed with fibromyalgia with suspected hyper mobility.

I’ve found my physical symptoms to have been progressing in the past year, but have always managed to work part time. Started uni in October, but i’m dropping out and asked my manager if I can go back up to three shifts in May, which is what I was doing before, but as i’ve been struggling with pain and more I wanted some easier shifts. After a conversation today, he wanted me to do two weekend shifts, which I wasn’t doing before. I work in a busy traditional pub, especially in summer and I know how hard the evening shifts can be. I’ve had a set Monday for a year and half and the other shifts have changed as my studies have.

Ideally I would like to work two day times (Monday and another day) and a weekend shift, is this reasonable to ask for? The weekend shifts are so intense and sometimes we don’t finish till 1.30, which means not sleeping till at least 3 and it ruins my sleep schedule, I feel awful the next day and it can cause pain flare ups which comes with brain fog etc. 

I have a call for an occupational therapy assessment next week, but i’m stressing about this (and many other things) and I would like to get this sorted with my gm. 

Comments

• letitbe
    letitbe Community member Posts: 305 Pioneering
    Options
    I def think asking for 2 weekdays and 1 weekend is fair - you’re not saying no to working weekend so I hope your manager accommodates your request . 

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,412 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @effyoddly, welcome to the community :)

It does sound like a reasonable compromise for you to spread your shifts out a little bit. But if you're not sure what your rights are, you could try contacting ACAS or Citizens Advice to see if you can get some guidance about it. There's some information about reasonable adjustments on the Scope website that you might like to read through too. One thing I would say is that if you put in any requests for reasonable adjustments it's well worth putting them in writing so that you can keep track of what's happening.

Does your manager already know about your conditions? Have they been supportive so far?

I hope your occupational therapy appointment goes well!
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.