Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Help related to PIP Assessment In two days

Options
JayJayJuliette
JayJayJuliette Community member Posts: 65 Connected
Hello everyone, hope everyone is doing OK today.
I was wondering if you would be so kind as to give me a little advice as I am a bag of nerves at the moment and the anxiety is really overwhelming right now due to reading terrible things online about assessment that have taken place of recent. 2024

I have my assessment on Thursday Morning 18th April 2023 at 9am which I found really upsetting as I specifically asked for it not to be too early in the morning due to being very slow in the mornings and still drowsy from the medication I take at bed time, not sure why they gave me the first appointment of the day but it did make me feel insecure as they had not seemed to have taken notice of it :(

I then called to ask if it could please be recorded and was told that the assessor doesn't have that facility. I was told by the lady on the phone that I could record it myself as long as I told the assessor and then read online that the assessor can refuse to be recorded and can end the assessment if I record the conversation. Is this true???

And is it true that an assessor will try to trick you, I really hope not as that would be so cruel to do something like that.

Please could someone be so kind to educate me on this and to share any experience on whether they have had similar experiences and any advice on the above issues I have brought up.
Many thanks 
Warm Regards 
Jay-Jay x 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,998 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The assessment dates and times are automatically generated. You can change the assessment to a different date and time but you can only do that once.

Yes you can record the assessment yourself and yes you should tell them before you do this. Some assessors will refuse to be recorded so they can end the assessment at that point. If you ring them to tell them you will be recording it they should tell the assessor before the day of the assessment.

They ask many questions but I wouldn’t go as far as saying they try to trick you. They may ask the same questions in different ways a couple of time throughout the assessment. There may also be some questions that you think aren’t relevant but they will be more relevant than you think they are. 

For example, if you have physical conditions and tell them you have difficulties walking but you have a dog, they may ask who takes them for a walk and who feeds them. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Hello Poppy nice to see you and thank you so much for the speedy reply, It's really appreciated.

The lady who told me I can record it did mention I must tell them as she was the one telling me, she did ask me, do I a recorder and I said yes. Poppy do you think I should call them back and if so will this possibly mean they might postpone my appointment /assessment.?
    My stomach is churning over all of this, its a very stressful ordeal in my opinion.

Thank you
    Warm Regards
    Jay-Jay
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,552 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Heya @JayJayJuliette I totally understand getting the heebie-jeebies over the assessment, but honestly it'll be fine. 

I think if anything, the earlier call may be good, as the assessor will be able to hear first hand how early mornings affect you? I'd recommend writing down all the important things you want to mention in bullet points, so you wont forget during the call, I know how forgetful I can get when I'm in a heightened anxiety state. Just take your time and you'll be ok.  Best of luck! 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Hello Albus. How kind of you, thank you so much for your understanding and acknowledgment of how I am feeling and  the anxiety I'm going through. I will start tomorrow with the bullet points of what I want to say and just hope Im not too foggy because of the bedtime meds, let alone the body pain I will go through trying to rush to be ready for 9am. 
    Warm Regards 
    Jay-Jay Juliette
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    We'll be keeping everything crossed for you! Will you let us know how you get on? 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Hi Albus, thank you ever so much, yes I will let you guys know. Wish I could let this anxiety go, its awful to have to feel this way when one is not feeling well and in pain.
    Thank you again.
    Warm Regards
    Jay-Jay
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 581 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @JayJayJuliette. Just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow. Make sure phone is fully charged. I had a glass of water near me, as my mouth goes very dry when anxious. I hi-lighted stuff on the copies I had done from the PIP form, just so the important stuff got mentioned. Don’t answer just yes or no either, eg, if they ask about preparing food, if it’s a no, then explain why.
    I was on the phone a little over an hour I think, but it did go quick, and the assessor was very nice. Once it’s over, as hard as it is, try not to think about it. I found myself questioning whether I could/should have said more. Take care.
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Hello Leigh nice to meet you, thank you so much for the advice, really appreciate it very much and especially the glass of water, I didnt think about that and is a very good idea. I will also high light good idea and do some bullet points.
    Thank you for your kindness and good wishes on my assessment 
    Warm Regards 
    Jay-Jay :)  
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Hi all, Just some feedback from my assessment today as one of you asked if I would let you know.

Firstly, the lady was very professional and very very kind and understanding. I think I was lucky as her profession deals with spinal problems and she had a lot of empathy for me as its not that often I think that people all at the same time have severe problems from the neck, mid back and lower back with 3x different types of diagnosisess meaning not the same thing running down the spine from top to bottom. So she did make me feel comfortable and my anxiety went away.

The assessment was a little unusual and not quite the same as I had read about online of what others have said, but mine was thorough and she covered everything even though it wasn't in sequence from the questions listed on the form and I have to say that she explained she was going to do in detail before she continued to the next step.

I also told her of a mistake I had made on the form and she said she would correct it and let the DWP know. 
    I think the assessment went well and will now have to wait just like you all did, But I was rather surprised as my assessment went on for one hour and 15 mins and within 30 mins the DWP sent me a text to say they have received my assessment report and would contact me in 8 weeks, can anyone tell me if that is a good sign to get a text so quickly from the DWP within half an hour of an assessment being done, or is it possibly a red flag. Just wanted to know if anyone had the same experience as me and if it was a good, bad or normal sign.

Thank you all for making me feel better about the whole thing last night and being kind and supportive, really appreciated that very much from you.

I am very glad it is over as I was exhausted from the assessment and slept for most of the day.

Warm Regards 
    Jay-Jay :)

• Albus_Scope
    Options
    Ah I'm so glad it was a mostly positive experience for you @JayJayJuliette it really can make all the difference. Usually if you get the text it just means they were writing stuff as you were talking, so it's nothing to worry about. Now go get a well deserved cuppa. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Hi Albus thank you for responding, do you know if the HP's notes they have written make a difference with the DWP decision maker. I don't really understand how this all works and just hope I will get the points I was expecting when I looked at the discripters. :) 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The report being returned to DWP soon after the assessment means nothing other than that. Before making a decision they decision maker should look at everything you sent, including the PIP2 form, any additional evidence and the assessment report. 

Mostly they go with the report but it has been know for them to go against it. Now it's been returned a decision can take up to about 12 weeks, rather than the 8 you were advised. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Hi Poppy thank you for responding much appriciated, could you please tell me when I can request a copy of the assessment and the point scoring that I got.
    Many Thanks 
    Jay-Jay 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can ring PIP anytime to request a copy. Please also be aware that this does cause so much more anxiety for many people, even if the report is in their favour. Also the report is just a recommendation only, it's not the decision. 
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Thank you Poppy for answering that for me. I do understand that the report is not the final decision and that it's up to the DWP DM.
    Thank you for all your help, really appreciate it very much :) 

Warm Regards Always
    Jay-Jay
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 581 Pioneering
    Options
    Well done on getting through the assessment @JayJayJuliette. Glad that you had a nice, understanding assessor. When we read about those who’ve had bad experiences, it really makes some worry, including me. It’s over now, so hopefully you were able to relax for the rest of the day and evening.
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Update: Hello everyone I thought I would give you an update. Well I wanted to first say the good things about my experience. I found the whole process pretty speedy as I first called PIP on the 6th of Feb 24 to please send me a form and a decision was made on the 22 April 24, so 2.5 months and from what I have read is pretty fast.

I found it all very daunting and very stressful and had to ask for another week to be able to get more evidence, I returned the form on the 13th March 24 via first class sign for and all good, I then sent in more evidence a week later same, via 1st class sign for mail. I had my assessment on the 18th April 24  Then I recieved a txt saying I had been awarded PIP 3 working days later and now
    I received my decision letter today and am gutted that the assessor has not been honest and am now glad I recorded it. I dont know why this was done and just hope it was an error but there is more than one box incorrectly ticked and the decision maker has made his decision on her report.

I will give you an example, There is no way I can walk even 20m without stopping to rest due to the pain, this was made very clear to the assessor and I also sent them my assessment from LCWRA that clearly states I cant walk with my walking stick even 20m, I can actually only walk about 5 to 10m at a time, so obviously I am upset about this.

They have not called my doctor as she would have told them the same thing, so either this has been overlooked or they have made an error.

I am calmer now but when I got the news I burst into tears lost my balance and fell to the ground and of course hurt myself now, big bruises coming up :(
    After I calmed down and went to lay down I decided to call PIP and tell them a mistake has been made, they told me to do a MR over the phone so I did, the young man was very kind on the phone and did it for me and I received a text say I should hear something any time up to 8 weeks from today. So thats my update really and wanted to ask anyone that might have been through this and what they did to receive the reward they are rightly deserving of. I really am exhausted with all of this, really wears you down :( Im 60 years old and really too tired to fight things like this.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Please put the MR request in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. The reason we don't advise you to ring them to request it is because how do you know the person in the call centre was typing what you told them? You don't know that. 

When you filled out the form if you didn't give a couple of real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies to you then you should do that now. Adding detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. 

They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence so that wasn't an error. A GP is also not the best person anyway because they don't spend any time with you to know how far you can walk, neither do they see you cook, wash, dress etc etc. If they know then it's because you've told them and then it becomes hearsay. 

Timescales for MR decisions is up to about 12 weeks. The most likely outcome is the decision will remain the same. Only about 23% of MR decisions change. If this happens you can proceed to Tribunal and then there's a 70% success rate, providing you either appear in person or request a telephone/video hearing. 
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Thank you Poppy for all the advice I will do what you say, Im just exhausted with all of this at the moment and very upset as the assessor was so nice to me but put untruths and didnt add the important things I told her and she wrote the opposit of what I told her. I feel like a fool but she came across as so nice to me, but her report really shows differently and I also have the recording which I went over again today and she really has done me an injustes. Thank you again for all your advice, sorry but im really down right now :(
    Warm Regards 
    Jay-Jay 
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Thanks Poppy I called them this morning and was put through to a Decision manager who said its ok for me to submit my MR on paper and he will wait for it. and I will be notified asap as they are still dealing with MR'S from the beginning of Feb 24. Thanks again for the advice :) 
    Warm Regards
    Jay-Jay 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.