2nd PIP Application

Tayla
Tayla Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi Scope community,

I’m looking for some more advice after all great responses I had on my last post. 

I have re-applied for PIP after my initial claim was declined, and declined again after mandatory reconsideration. At the time, I really didn’t want to appeal as my physical and mental health was deteriorating. So a few month on, I have further diagnosis and my conditions have worsened, meaning I am in a far worse position now, compared to my original application.

My question is, if I re-apply for PIP with a completely new application, will the DWP just decline me again based off of ky old application? My fear is, that they will just disregard all my new information and not believe that my condition has worsened in the time between my last application (Early Nov 2023) and now. Do they keep my old application on file and compare the two? I don’t want to waste my time again whilst I’m struggling mentally just to be declined again based on my old application. 

Of course I understand there is no guarantee that I will be granted PIP anyway, but being declined from my previous application, and just because I wasn’t eligible before is extremely unfair. 

Any advice appreciated. 

Ps. I also work full time (completely remote) because I can’t afford to drop my hours, despite my condition which I feel also works against me. Any ideas on how I can stress this to the DWP?

Thanks

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,182 Online Community Coordinator
    Heya @Tayla and welcome back! 

Sorry to hear about the PIP issues.  You can still appeal and go to tribunal, I believe within 13 months? So that's an option.  But if you wanted to apply again, the best thing to remember is that PIP isn't about any diagnosis, it's showing on the forms how your disability affects each descriptor.  If you can show this with real world examples then that will go a long way!  I'm not sure if they'd check previous applications though, sorry! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,491 Championing
    Yes, they do often look back at previous claims if you've been refused in the past. This is why starting a new claim isn't always the best decision. It's always better to head to Tribunal instead, which you can do this time if the worst happens again. 

Remember, even though your conditions have got worse, this still doesn't automatically entitle you to PIP.