Letter from the council — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Letter from the council

Options
jason40
jason40 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
I've just recieved this email of the council has anyone else had it, I've not had this before.

You have received this email because our records show that you are currently in receipt of Universal Credit.

Current legislation means Universal Credit is calculated by multiplying weekly rent payments by 52-weeks. However this upcoming financial year (2024-2025) your rent is charged over 53 weeks. This means that you will be underpaid Universal Credit by one week over the course of the year. It is your responsibility to pay this shortfall.

To check your balance and to make a payment please use our new My Housing App, further details can be found at https://www.hull.gov.uk/housing-services/housing-app or contact your Tenancy Officer.

If you are struggling to keep up with your payments, please don't hesitate to contact your Tenancy Officer.

The Hull City Council Neighbourhoods and Housing Team

I thought the rent was fully paid by universal credit?

Comments

• noman
    noman Community member Posts: 588 Pioneering
    Options
    I’ve had the same from my council and yes you do have to pay 1 weeks rent from your own pocket unfortunately.
  • jason40
    Options
    I wonder why it's only this year we have to pay it. When will it have to be paid can it be anytime this year? Thanks 
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 588 Pioneering
    Options
    I believe it’s between 2024 & 2025
  • jason40
    Options
    Ok great thanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This happens once in about 5-6 years I believe. You can pay a little each week or month over the course of the year and by the end of the year your rent account shouldn't be in debt. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jason40
    Options
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 491 Pioneering
    Options
    These 53-week financial years happen infrequently, due to the discrepancy between the lunar year and the solar year. This is due to the difference between  how the solar and lunar years accumulate over time, eventually leading to the inclusion of a 53 week year roughly every 5-6 years.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.