Re: sunaks speech - the acceleration of uc rollout

apple85
apple85 Community member Posts: 574 Pioneering
edited April 20 in Benefits and income
Okay I think many of us can agree that this was sunaks most vile attack on the disabled yet (I resent being made an example of because of something I was born with in order to gain votes)

and it’s even more worrying the silence from Labour (though I think the Lib Dem’s denounced it)

nothing is set in stone until at least the general election has taken place but the position Labour is currently taking it’s currently pick your own poison

ignoring the above for now I keep reading that the uc timetable has been accelerated to be completed by 2026 but I can’t find more thorough detail of this

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/from-universal-credit-to-pip-all-the-benefit-changes-announced-by-rishi-sunak-3015398

can someone please clarify the most up to date migration rollout for those still getting a esa support/wrag award

(I thought current esa awards claimed alongside housing benefits would not be asked to move before 2028 - is that still the case?)

Comments

• apple85
    Also targeting pip is pure stupidity 

for a lot a disabled in work, their pip award is the only reason why they can financially do so

also many disabled scrap by on pip even if they qualify for uc (which I think is worth more money award wise) - rishis plan may trigger more uc applications and less disabled working.

we know politicians don’t care about disabled lives but I think this will end up losing the treasury money rather than save!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,128 Championing
    apple85 said:

(I thought current esa awards claimed alongside housing benefits would not be asked to move before 2028 - is that still the case?)
    You thought correctly and it's at least 2028 unless a change of circumstances prompts a move in the mean time.

Latest ‘Move to Universal Credit’ plans

Full-scale managed migration started in April 2023, expanding gradually to different areas of Great Britain. Under the latest plans:

• In 2023/24, migration notices are being sent to over 500,000 households getting tax credits only (and no other legacy benefits).
    • In 2024/25, the DWP will contact the remaining tax credit claimants (those also receiving other legacy benefits), and all claimants of Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), and Housing Benefit. The DWP aims to send migration notices to these households – around 440,000 in total – by September 2024.

The managed migration of claimants of income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) only, or incomed-related ESA and Housing Benefit, has been delayed until 2028/29. This will involve around 600,000 households. https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9984/

• Faithlong
    Faithlong Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    apple85 said:

You thought correctly and it's at least 2028 unless a change of circumstances prompts a move in the mean time.

Full-scale managed migration started in April 2023, expanding gradually to different areas of Great Britain. Under the latest plans:

• In 2023/24, migration notices are being sent to over 500,000 households getting tax credits only (and no other legacy benefits).
    • In 2024/25, the DWP will contact the remaining tax credit claimants (those also receiving other legacy benefits), and all claimants of Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), and Housing Benefit. The DWP aims to send migration notices to these households – around 440,000 in total – by September 2024.

The managed migration of claimants of income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) only, or incomed-related ESA and Housing Benefit, has been delayed until 2028/29. This will involve around 600,000 households. https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9984/

Hi Poppy, 

‘The Prime Minister’s welfare reform speech earlier today announced the acceleration of the Managed Migration of legacy ESA/ESA & HB cases to #UniversalCredit. All migration notices will now be sent by the end of December 2025. We will work with stakeholders on the detailed plans.’ 

this is a direct quote from the Director general of DWP Neil Cullen. 

I think they are moving the deadline To the end of 2025. 
  • poppy123456
    Faithlong said:
    apple85 said:

Hi Poppy, 

‘The Prime Minister’s welfare reform speech earlier today announced the acceleration of the Managed Migration of legacy ESA/ESA & HB cases to #UniversalCredit. All migration notices will now be sent by the end of December 2025. We will work with stakeholders on the detailed plans.’ 

Do you have a link for that please so I can read it for myself, I've not see that. 
  • Faithlong
    Faithlong said:
    apple85 said:

Hi Poppy, 

Do you have a link for that please so I can read it for myself, I've not see that. 
    Hi Poppy, I don’t know how to attach a link but I took a screenshot which I will have to post in a reply to OP because I don’t know how to attach it here! Sorry I’m new!
  • Faithlong

• poppy123456
    Faithlong said:
    Faithlong said:
    apple85 said:

Hi Poppy, 

Hi Poppy, I don’t know how to attach a link but I took a screenshot which I will have to post in a reply to OP because I don’t know how to attach it here! Sorry I’m new!
    You just need to right click the link to highlight it and copy it, then paste it here in your comment. I'm sorry but I can't find anything that suggests it's been moved to 2025 and the link I posted above is the official link from parliament. 
  • Faithlong
    Faithlong said:
    Faithlong said:
    apple85 said:

Hi Poppy, 

You just need to right click the link to highlight it and copy it, then paste it here in your comment. I'm sorry but I can't find anything that suggests it's been moved to 2025 and the link I posted above is the official link from parliament. 
    I hope you are right but I just posted the screenshot above your reply. It’s from his Twitter account and he posted this today. I’m actually really worried about this so if you have anything that can disprove what he’s saying I’d really appreciate it thank you.
  • poppy123456
    I did see your screenshot after my last comment. I'm sorry but for me this means nothing at all. The whole point of halting the managed migration process for those claiming ESA in the first place was to save the Government millions so I can't see them bringing that date forward by about 3 or 4 years. 

I can't find anything other than what you posted, which I also found myself after you screenshot it. 
  • Faithlong
    I did see your screenshot after my last comment. I'm sorry but for me this means nothing at all. The whole point of halting the managed migration process for those claiming ESA in the first place was to save the Government millions so I can't see them bringing that date forward by about 3 or 4 years. 

I can't find anything other than what you posted, which I also found myself after you screenshot it. 
    Okay, so someone replied exactly what you just said and he replied the reason they are bringing it forward is stated in this research, specifically page 41, and that is what the government is using as evidence they will not actually be saving as much as they originally thought they would. https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/progress-in-implementing-universal-credit-report.pdf
  • apple85
    edited April 19
    @woodbine

honestly I only found out about sunaks speech a few hours ago so I haven’t had a chance to dig for all labour mps quotations on the subject yet.

@ Poppy

I did think it was still 2028/29 but a few sources are talking about the acceleration of the uc timetable to be completed by 2026 but I can’t find anything that expands on that lack of detail

• apple85
    Err, who’s this Neil couling?
  • freeallbadgers
    freeallbadgers Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    apple85 said:
    Err, who’s this Neil couling?

• freeallbadgers
    freeallbadgers Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Here is the direct link to Neil Coulings tweet about the accelerated roll out

• poppy123456
    I seen his tweet but I stand by what I said I’ve not seen anything official at all about this. I’m a great believer in not worrying until I have something to worry about and I will continue to be that way. 
  • apple85
    There’s this which is pretty official but vague in detail (as in there’s no detail)

I personally don’t do well when I don’t have rough dates (I like to forward plan) - no dates feel like a frickin jack-in-the-box which messes with the head

i get those saying not to panic & it won’t happen but for some of us that either not possible or a more complex reasoning is needed to get to the same conclusion 
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 240 Empowering
    Newswires been going crazy today though conflicting text!

Many sayThe new plans will see people claiming income-related Employment Support Allowance (ESA) moved onto Universal Credit by April 2025 - a full three years earlier than previously planned

Conflicted by: 
    “The Prime Minister’s welfare reform speech earlier today announced the acceleration of the Managed Migration of legacy ESA/ESA & HB cases to #UniversalCredit. All migration notices will now be sent by the end of December 2025. We will work with stakeholders on the detailed plans.”
  • apple85
    @fluffycat

you need to add the sources to the quotes you’ve used

i haven’t read the first quote at all for a full completion date of April 2024
    but going by the fact that the timetable a week ago (excluding the original 2028/29 group) doesn’t conclude till the end of 2024 and the 2028/29 group (esa only or esa+housing benefit only) covers approximately 660k households which even if the dwp rush things I doubt they’d be about to complete by April 2024 (common sense wise)

the 2nd quote is from that dwp manager on twitter right? - it clearly suggests detailed plans (aka an updated rollout calendar) haven’t in finalised so right now that dec 2025 completion date is a rough estimate/pencil (not penned in date)

In conclusion it’s a waiting game

@woodbine

i think human right lawyers (and eu/un) may have something to say

i could be wrong but the Rwanda law being passed doesn’t suddenly mean it doesn’t break international law

and ignoring that so many over pitfall stands in the way of a ‘win’ for sunak

(each migrant costing a mil to stand to Rwanda isn’t a true win for a man willing to challenge the human rights of the uk disabled to save a few bob)

plus it won’t deter migrants - they’ll just disappear the first opportunity after reaching uk shores!
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 240 Empowering
    @apple85

Hello, links below (April 2025 also syndicated across local rags etc.)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/dwp-confirms-major-shakeup-600000-32644593.amp

DWP confirms major shakeup for 600,000 benefit claimants moving to Universal Credit

The new plans will see people claiming income-related Employment Support Allowance (ESA) moved onto Universal Credit by April 2025 - a full three years earlier than previously planned

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/tory-plans-pip-no-longer-always-cash,-wca-harder-to-pass,-uc-migration-sooner,-no-gp-sick-notes,-dwp-power-to-arrest-and-fine

“The Prime Minister’s welfare reform speech earlier today announced the acceleration of the Managed Migration of legacy ESA/ESA & HB cases to #UniversalCredit. All migration notices will now be sent by the end of December 2025. We will work with stakeholders on the detailed plans.”