Blue badge asking for payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge asking for payment

Options
DepressedAnxious
DepressedAnxious Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi All

I applied 3 weeks ago under hidden disabilities, I have been awarded standard PIP only for daily care despite having autism, OCD and arthritis, I didn’t meet the points for that mobility component and was 2 points away from higher rate for care (I should have appealed but I was in hospital with pneumonia and received a lump sump before I even receive my letter. Given all I was dealing with at the time I was just happy I was given something as I know it’s hard to get PIP). 

Sorry I digress, so the lady I do my therapy with mentioned I can apply for a blade badge under hidden disabilities. So I did an online application a few weeks ago and today I’ve received a letter asking for £10 payment. 

Will this be refunded if my application is refused? I do find it odd they want money if they’re not issuing a blue badge. 

I only ask because that £10 is to someone like me, I’m very stretched financially atm and I don’t want to pay this and lose this upon the application being rejected. 

Thanks for any help. 

Comments

• noman
    noman Community member Posts: 583 Pioneering
    edited April 23
    Options
    My partner applied for her blue badge online then received a phone call from the local council where she had to pay £10 by card for it.

They won't issue the card till it has been paid for.
  • DepressedAnxious
    Options
    Thanks @noman

That indicates that they’ve assessed my application hence asking for payment?

Or they just are preemptively asking for the payment and presumably I will be refunded if declined. 

I’ll go ahead and make a payment when I’m paid my PIP and hope for the best. 

• noman
    noman Community member Posts: 583 Pioneering
    Options
    I doubt it will be declined if you have provided evidence to say that you are entitled to it,asking for payment seems like you will be getting it.
  • DepressedAnxious
    Options
    Thank you @noman

yes I supplied my consultant report mentioning what my scans showed and the extent of my arthritis along with my reports from my consultant dealing with my mental health. 

This is probably what I should have included in my original PIP; I was naive to think they contact my consultants and GP. 

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,379 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @DepressedAnxious and welcome to the community. :)

I can see you've been helped out already, but I just wanted to stop in and say hi. It varies from council to council, but usually they'd ask for payment in advance, but wouldn't actually charge you unless it's accepted.  Fingers crossed for you. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • DepressedAnxious
    Options
    @Albus_Scope

thank you for the friendly welcome. 

Thanks for clarifying, I’ll use their automated payment line and wait and see what happens. 

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 606 Pioneering
    Options
    I don't know about your own council rules, but with my council usually they only ask for payment after reviewing everything and are ready to make the badge. Thats what happened with my grandad anyway, they don't normally ask for payment unless they know they are going to issue one. Not every council is the same though so don't rely on this information just what my own council does.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• DepressedAnxious
    Options
    Quick update, I paid and then called my local council. They said if the application is rejected then the funds are repaid as this is their local council policy. 

Thanks all for the help.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,379 Scope online community team
    Options
    Glad you got an answer @DepressedAnxious best of luck for your application! :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.