When should I use my wheelchair — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When should I use my wheelchair

Options
wilko82
wilko82 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi everyone!

I'm new here. Feeling a bit flat and don't know what I just be doing for the best with regards to my mobility and aids. Please advise...

I'm 41 years old and suffer with fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease, cervical disc disorder and 2 herniated discs in my neck. I also have a herniated disc in my back and narrowing of the spinal canal which I'm waiting to see the neurosurgeon for. I've also had 2 previous spinal surgeries. I also have osteoarthritis of the spine, Endometriosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome, chondromalacia patella, cerebal atrophy, anxiety and depression and postural hypotension. Sorry for the long list...

I use my crutch on a daily basis as my legs often feel weak due to my chronic fatigue and chronic pain. I do have a wheelchair that was provided via wheelchair services through my O.T.  The thing is I've tended to shy away from it as my family have not really supported me in this area and I slso live alone. I don't really want to go out in it alone and I would find it very hard getting it in and out of the car. It is self propell which I can manage in shops etc. My family don't think I really need it. They say things like, if you can walk up stairs then you don't need it. But I try and explain its to conserve energy,  fatigue management etc 

I can feel myself going into another depression and I wondered what your thoughts are on using a wheelchair just now and then. I just don't know what to do anymore. The more I do on foot sometimes the more I'm fatigued etc.

Thanks for reading xx

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi there @wilko82 and welcome to the community. :)

I'm sorry to hear your family are being less than sympathetic with the wheelchair.  It's just my personal opinion, but I'd be listening more to what your body says, rather than what family say.  Do you have any friends that could go out with you? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • wilko82
    Options
    @Albus_Scope
    Thank you for your reply. I do have one friend I could ask but she is busy a lot of the time.  

I will try to listen to my body more and not listen to those who don't understand. I just often feel like I shouldn't be using it as there are others worse or getting used to it as I've been told.  But often my legs are like jelly and I just want to do things and get out. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'd try not to worry, people will always say "others have it worse" but that doesn't mean you yourself don't also deserve help and support in your life. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • wilko82
    Options
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @wilko88

My two penneth worth...if you need it, use it! 
    Don't worry about what anyone thinks, although, it isn't so great that your family don't support you & it seems, don't listen. If you can manage more by using it, as it helps with pain & energy levels, then that's what it's there for, no point struggling when you don't need to.

• wilko82
    Options
    @JessieJ
    Thanks for your kind comment. You're right. I was hoping to find a bit of support on here as people will seem to understand more and it's already proving right. 🙂🙂
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes, @wilko88, we're in one big boat together & even though all our disabilities can be very different, we all share some of the same struggles, so there's always support on here.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @wilko82 the OT got you the chair because they feel you needed it.  Your family don't have your struggles so you do what's best for you. 
  • wilko82
    Options
    @Sandy_123 That's so true. Thank you for your kind comment x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.