Please can I get help? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please can I get help?

Options
anth22
anth22 Community member Posts: 191 Courageous
Hi I would really appreciate some help concerning my grandsons DLA.
He was awarded DLA 2 years ago high rate care low rate mobility he is 5 now, its taken a few months due to school holidays and the care he needs to finally get a letter from his special needs school for my daughter to ask DLA to consider him for high rate mobility.
She rang DLA today and was asked why it had taken so long to contact them about his mobility needs but she explained about how his care holds things back to deal with things quicker.
She was asked to send the further evidence but is there anything else she needs to do at this point? Should she expect a form from DLA ect does she need to send a covering letter with the new evidence we just need to make sure it's done the right way, Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,704 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you sure he’s claiming low rate mobility for the past 2 years? 

You cannot claim the mobility part of Disability Living Allowance before your child reaches the age of three (for the higher rate) or five (for the lower rate).
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • anth22
    Options
    Thank you for getting back to me poppy daughter has confirmed he got low rate mobility when he turned 5 sorry for the confusion.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,704 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks, that's what I thought. They should send another DLA form to fill in and return with any supporting evidence she has. There's no guarantee that he will be awarded high rate mobility though. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • anth22
    Options
    Thank you poppy its just his school are saying he needs all the support he can get,he has to be harnessed to walk any where and harnessed in transport he has no sense off danger can't talk and has a very dangerous obsession with water.
    Basically we as a family put so much effort into him to keep him safe he is a runner that's why he is harnessed in public.
    He is non verbal autistic but he is the most beautiful boy and life would never be the same without him in our hearts 💕. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.