Pip/capita issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip/capita issues

Options
angie610m
angie610m Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
Hi,

I sent my review for pip March 2023. In Feb I heard that I was being called for assessment. 1. First was a f2f that I cancelled, 2. A video was made but too early for me. 3. A telephone was booked that they cancelled. 4. A paperbased was attempted... 6 weeks later... another letter for a video at 8am (already put in complaints about the time). Then they changed video date and time. Then I asked is it recorded? However video assessments are not recorded so I have no idea why they put me in for one. I've tried 3 times to change it. However, I had support set to attend the assessment. They called Capita yesterday and said would be same time/date as video but will now be a telephone. I was not sure on this so called them to see if this was true. Apparently they cancelled the video, told support same day/time as video, but then changed it to a Saturday (support only works Mon to fri)... and then they've changed it yet again to Monday 29th April. But support was set for Tuesday 30th April and they've messed me around so much.

Above I mention about times. I cannot get up before 11am, cannot take tablets before then. And they were sending me 8am, 8.30am and 9am appointments. When I've told them I need afternoon only.

I have fibromyalgia, hypermobility syndrome, severe ibs, asthma, a knee that failed to recover after an op and depression. I know it's about how I can manage day to day not my conditions. 

I get nervous on phone and hate long conversations. And I've never had a telephone assessment. So I'm anxious about it.

Anyone had similar issues? Anyone have any advice on the telephone call? Anyone know what I can do with all the mess about? Each time I complain they respond and never answer to what I'm complaining about, like they've misunderstood or brushed over it. 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    @hi @angie610m I'm so sorry to hear they've been running you ragged, that's very unfair of them. I'm glad you've complained though. It's worth putting in a formal complaint with the DWP as well as with Capita.  Info can be found here about it. 
     With regard to the assessment itself, I always make sure I have all the important bits of information I need to get across to them done as bullet points. That way if the anxiety really kicks in, you'll still have your notes there to help you. Just breathe, take your time, take breaks if needed and try to relax a bit.  Will you let us know how you get on please? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • angie610m
    Options
    @Albus_Scope thank you. That is very useful. It hasn't been an easy process at all with them. 

Of course I'll update how I get on. Thank you for the info too.
  • angie610m
    Options
    @Albus_Scope I had my pip assessment today. She was a nurse. She understood my conditions and even asked had I been tested for EDS. I haven't but my bro has hypermobility syndrome too so there is a genetic link.

I am tired after a 1.5 hrs assessment. And I was nervous and slurred and got words mixed up. I wasn't rushed and didn't ask any questions on how my daily life is affected.

She did ask 3 trick qs. 1. Do I have pets? 2. Do I drive? 3. Did I do my exams at school? I left school 24 years ago. Been on pip since 2015 so no relevance. However, she seemed to thoroughly listen and it was confirmed by herself and DWP today I had 200 plus pages of evidence from my past 2 assessments, to recent. However, neither understood why Capita failed to do a paperbased assessment as I had a lot of information. 

I wasn't sure whether to post here or, make a new thread. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is no such thing as "trick questions" they are just trying to get a picture of you and your life.
    It will now take up to 12 weeks for a decision, good luck.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• angie610m
    Options
    @woodbine I wouldn't say there isn't. What I mean is they asked me a question on if I did my exams at school. I left school 24 years ago... there was no relevance. And I didn't have health issues then. Well I was born with hypermobility syndrome but wasn't aware until 2014. 
  • woodbine
    Options
    So that was an easy question to answer ?

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    200 plus pages of evidence?? Blimey! That’s an awful lot for them to read. Less if very often more. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • angie610m
    Options
    @woodbine not really. I did ask why she asked about school exams and asked if I was diagnosed with dyslexia but I hadn't. I don't have learning difficulties only maths as cannot understand numbers. But was no relevance to my conditions. 
  • angie610m
    Options
    @poppy123456 I haven't sent 200 pages. Well I have but not at once. It's pages from my first assessment I'm 2015, and evidence, also my assessment from 2017 and evidence. And then my form from last year and evidence. So this isn't just 200 pages from this time. It was on their file to go through all of it. 
  • angie610m
    Options
    @poppy123456 also I want to note I noted that as Capita failed to do a paperbased due to a lack of evidence. How, when there is 200 plus pages on the system with regards to my health? 
  • woodbine
    Options
    Paperbased or face to face it's their choice

• angie610m
    Options
    @woodbine well this is the thing.

2015 I had an assessment at home.
    2017 paperbased.
    This time they've messed me around. But they tried a paperbased and said they didn't have enough evidence. But DWP and the assessor said I had.
  • angie610m
    Options
    When I say messed me around sent me every assessment type, wrong times and ignored noted after a complaint that was made by the complaint manager... 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.