If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Review

Options
RadlvsRip
RadlvsRip Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello and thank you for anyone who takes the time to reply.
I am a disabled person who has a diagnosis of Bipolar affective disorder. Prior to 2016 for 19 years I worked full time. Never claimed any benefits. Until i had a psychotic episode in work and was taken via ambulance to hospital and later admitted to hospital. After discharge from hospital I had a mental breakdown. My Bipolar disorder continues to affect my daily living.
I have a history of psychosis as well as my Bipolar disorder diagnosis. I was under the care of the Early intervention in psychosis team for 3 years. I was awarded pip when I first became unwell. I had a report from the psychiatrist confirming my diagnosis and the difficulty in my level of function. I was supported by weekly CPN visits and she also wrote me a support report. 
In 2020 my pip was reviewed and to my alarm I received no points. My award was reinstated following a very stressful mandatory reconsideration process. I became unwell again as a result and once more required support from mental health team. My CPN supported me through Mandatory reconsideration.
February this year I started experiencing symptoms of Early warning signs of relapse and visited my GP who agreed that an urgent referral to the community mental health team was required. Referral done and access to services appointment completed. Now I await the mental health team getting in touch with me. It's been 4 weeks. In the middle of this going on I've received the pip review from DWP. I have completed the form honestly and to the best of my ability under the circumstances. I have a copy of the GP referral form and the access team notes and recommendations as evidence. I've also printed the GP summary from my patient records at my gp surgery which shows the times I have contacted them and they have also prescribed me some short term medication for use while I await the mental health teams input. Really what I'm describing is I'm currently in crisis and I have recorded on my pip form the request for either a paper based review or a home visit if further information is required aside from the form and the medical evidence I have to send them. Is this enough?
I'm really just looking for reassurance from other people who may have been in a similar situation with a pip review who might be willing to share the experience with me.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,046 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please make sure you treat the form as a new claim and do not just put "no changes" and nothing further. Give as much relevant information as possible. 

Paper based assessments are rate but possible and they will do them if they have enough of information. Home assessments no longer exist and instead telephone assessments have taken their place. They also do face to face at an assessment centre and video call. If an assessment is needed (most people have them) and you're sent a face to face appointment you can contact them to ask for a telephone one instead. 

There are extremely long delays with review decisions so you could be waiting an extremely long time for a decision. We have members here that are still waiting a year after returning their form. 

Unfortunately I can't tell you whether the evidence you have will be enough because I can't see that evidence, nor do I know anything about your health conditions and how they affect you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • RadlvsRip
    RadlvsRip Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    I appreciate it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.