If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Someone please help? Lcwra, would this be a change of circumstances?

Options
andyroo458
andyroo458 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I'm currently receiving LCWRA support for anxiety and low mood, which are gradually improving, particularly around people. I'm considering venturing into self-employment in the entertainment industry, with opportunities to DJ at local venues. While I'm unsure if it'll be easy until I try, it's my passion. I'm wondering if my improving anxiety warrants a change in my circumstances, as I still believe a traditional full-time job setting might not be suitable for my mental health. I know self-employment is possible on LCWRA, but I'm concerned it contradicts the reason for my support

Thanks to any responses 
Tagged:

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,526 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @andyroo458, welcome to the community. I'm afraid I'm not too sure on this one, but I'll pop your post over to our Universal Credit section where members can find it more easily and offer their thoughts. It sounds really positive that you're considering starting up with your DJing, I hope it all works out well for you :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Ramonica
    Ramonica Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Options
    I'm currently receiving LCWRA support for anxiety and low mood, which are gradually improving, particularly around people. I'm considering venturing into self-employment in the entertainment industry, with opportunities to DJ at local venues. While I'm unsure if it'll be easy until I try, it's my passion. I'm wondering if my improving anxiety warrants a change in my circumstances, as I still believe a traditional full-time job setting might not be suitable for my mental health. I know self-employment is possible on LCWRA, but I'm concerned it contradicts the reason for my support

Thanks to any responses 
    I dont want to sound judgmental but if you have LCWRA due to anxiety around people how on earth you will work as a DJ to venues, where SO MANY people will be there. That doesnt sound like a normal "getting better" its more, you are miraculously cured.

This a serious change of circumstances that you should report. I also dont believe you are where you think you are. It sounds like an impossible jump what you described on your post,

Get some advise from your GP or Counsellor or whoever support you. Be careful not losing your benefit and distress your finances.

Apologies for the brutal honesty, but its a serious contradiction what you describe here.
  • andyroo458
    andyroo458 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Ramonica, 

Thanks so much for replying. 

My anxiety is still one big issue that almost certainly has not gone away. I really want to try as I have been practicing for years! But the issue in hand is how do I go about this whilst being the right side of my commitment. 

I do feel that even if it was possible that I certainly wouldn't be able to pay the bills from this, nor do I think it would be anywhere near as easy as I feel it would be now, but it is however a dream that one day I would really like to pursue 
  • Deppi
    Deppi Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    @andyroo458 This is how I do things, as I have several psychotic conditions, and I understand you have some neurosis conditions, so it may or not may help sharing it, but here it goes: When I absolutely want to try something my conditions restrict me from, I keep it to myself and try it with someone I truly trust next to me.

What I try to say, maybe metaphorically speaking, is do it, try it, and if it works, then go down the road of letting UC know. Maybe, in an effort to be 100% ethically right, do it for free at start too. If you fail, you are who you are on your LCWRA, no news there, thank you for confirming  ;) If it works, you'll take it from there.

All I can wish, is that you get yourself to a point that you do what you love. Thats whats life is all about.

Be well.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.