If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The allure of power

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,011 Disability Gamechanger
edited May 2 in Coffee lounge

I was talking to a family member the other day about certain people who want power, whether it’s political or business power or anyone else like being high up in the military

I said I don’t know if I’m weird but the idea of having power has zero appeal to me... a couple of the other human desires, like money or intelligence, yes I would love… but if I was assigned loads of people and told they are mine to tell what to do, I don’t see the appeal, the idea of that doesn’t “turn me on” at all

That’s aside from the fact that in a democracy so-called “power” isn’t absolute anyway, and the fact that even the prime minister (in this country at least) gets paid no more than someone in middle management...also, whoever it is in power, has to take endless abuse from the public and their competition as well!!

I don’t like being part of the “all men are bad” club that is fashionable at the moment but I wonder if it’s more of a male desire to be able to command others … a bit like in nature being the “pack leader” or something? I do notice that the vast majority of people in history that have abused power have been men. Perhaps women in fact make the better leaders as the power is less likely to go to their head and be abused by them?!

Soo to sum up in the style of a Scope admin post here are a few questions …….

-What is it about power that makes people desire it??

-Do most people desire power or is it an uncommon trait?

-Do you think it’s more of a male desire and would women make better leaders?

-What are your personal views, would having power excite you??

Looking forward to your answers! :)

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,668 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    With great power, comes great responsibility!  For that reason, it's not something that I've ever desired personally.

Many women do seem to enjoy power (in my experience of being a weak, useless male, pushed around by everyone else regardless of gender) but whether that extends to running a whole country, I'm not sure.

Power is all about control.  The only way to get total control is by dominating other people and having no-one 'above' to control you.  So I can see why people do desire it.  However, I think they have to lack empathy in order to enforce control over others.  I'd feel constantly guilty for doing so myself.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,011 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2
    Options
    I can kind of see why someone would want to be a dictator rather than a "leader" in a democracy, not that either appeals to me but at least in the former you can respond to any abuse you get in whatever way you see fit :D 

Is wanting to be in control of others different to wanting to just be in control of your own fate? I like being in control when it comes to daily life - when I am driving I make sure that, even if someone else makes a mistake, I can take control of the situation and ensure their mistake doesn't affect my safety...but I'm not sure if that desire to be in control extends to a desire to control others... that seems like a separate kind of control to me

I do know what you mean about feeling guilty and I think if I were made to be in power I'd try to do it in way that I remember studying which is a potential ideal (but impossible) system of the "selfless dictator", basically an all-controlling individual who only exercises this control for the benefit of others - the idea is that often citizens don't know what is best for them so they need to have decisions forced on them. In a democracy it's possible for the public to receive what they think they want but not what they really want or need!
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,467 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    While there have been exceptions, from my experience the women I have worked for have been far better then the men I have worked for. I am far more harder on myself than my current team leader and her female manager.

There can be a lot of pressure from above, in what can be a high pressure job which has huge effects on peoples lives. Despite this they have remained positive and continue to nurture and develop their teams. It was a huge culture shock for me, when I joined eleven years ago, having come from what was practically male dominated environment. The bullies I could deal with, but could not be bothered with managers or team leaders who feel they have to micromanage everything.

To give an example of the difference.

Most male bosses I have had, go to them if I was struggling and would either be told to sort it out or they will have to let me go, or just do what I tell you to do and it will sort itself out.

My female managers, how are you doing it now, what else have you tried, here are some ideas you can try. Lets meet again in 1 - 3 months time to see how it is going if you need more support or have questions before then let me know. The meeting dates are set in both our diaries. My team leader even set a weekly meeting to go through my enquiries and identify choke points and how to deal with them. As a result I am dealing with far more complicated cases and have reduced targets which recognise this. These meetings are less regular now and only when I request them. 

I have been asked if I would be interested in a team leader role, either permanently or temporary basis. At my age I have no interest in the additional responsibilities or pressures, or the effects they would have with my health. I am fortunate enough to be paid a reasonable wage and despite the recent financial issues I have finally started to get savings so there is little to no motivation to do so.

That said the best male manager I have had was in this company, though in other departments I have heard horror stories of both male and female managers, so do feel I have been extremely lucky. So for me I would have to say on personal experience I prefer female bosses.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.