Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024


Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Changes to PIP

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,772 Pioneering
So the Government wants to change the way that disabled people receive financial assistance to help towards our increased costs.
Rather than "cash" - they want to give us "vouchers"
This FRANKLY STUPID scheme will not help me to get a new brain (I had a brain injury in 1990) and will not fix my spine (twisted) or replace my knees with working/less painful ones (I have hyper-extended joints) - so what "vouchers" am I to receive ?
And as for "Helping me back to work" - I am 60 years old and have, after 43 years of working,  just accepted the fact that I will never work again.....

Your total score for the daily living part of PIP is 20 points. You
have been awarded the enhanced rate from 8 June 2022 for an
ongoing period.

Your total score for the mobility part of PIP is 22 points. You
have been awarded the enhanced rate from 8 June 2022 for an
ongoing period.

The ongoing period is 10 years - so, legally,  how can they change this ?



Tagged:
«1345

Comments

  • michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 344 Pioneering
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    So the Government wants to change the way that disabled people receive financial assistance to help towards our increased costs.
    Rather than "cash" - they want to give us "vouchers"
    This FRANKLY STUPID scheme will not help me to get a new brain (I had a brain injury in 1990) and will not fix my spine (twisted) or replace my knees with working/less painful ones (I have hyper-extended joints) - so what "vouchers" am I to receive ?
    And as for "Helping me back to work" - I am 60 years old and have, after 43 years of working,  just accepted the fact that I will never work again.....

    Your total score for the daily living part of PIP is 20 points. You
    have been awarded the enhanced rate from 8 June 2022 for an
    ongoing period.

    Your total score for the mobility part of PIP is 22 points. You
    have been awarded the enhanced rate from 8 June 2022 for an
    ongoing period.

    The ongoing period is 10 years - so, legally,  how can they change this ?



    i will trump that with 25 and 24 10years as well the answer to your question is a saying from one of my favourite series farscape time is the answer in time all will be revealed 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,937 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I found one of the suggestions amusing, which was to provide people with access to medical care instead of cash payments

    Do they mean the same healthcare that every citizen supposedly has access to already??
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Options
    I think their aim is to use our cash payments to pay for us to have private consultations if needed. 
    So basically we'll be paying for it ourselves. 
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Options
    It sounds like they are gunning for people suffering with MH issues, From what’s been said so far they are specifically targeting people claiming PIP etc for MH.

    As for the 10 year claims it does specify with PIP(And other benefits) that they can re access your claim anytime during your award period so that will be how they get over that hurdle.

    Rather than target genuinely suffering people with MH & Physical disabilities they should be going after the ridiculous amount of fake claimers, There’s an excellent documentary series on 4 that called “Benefits Britain” & “Skint Britain” that blatantly show people with absolutely 0 need for benefits and are perfectly able to work but as quoted from one of the people on that show “Why work when I can get it all for free”.







  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,781 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Luchia said:

    Rather than target genuinely suffering people with MH & Physical disabilities they should be going after the ridiculous amount of fake claimers, There’s an excellent documentary series on 4 that called “Benefits Britain” & “Skint Britain” that blatantly show people with absolutely 0 need for benefits and are perfectly able to work but as quoted from one of the people on that show “Why work when I can get it all for free”.
    I've never understood this mentality.  Personally I hate not being able to work.  Even assuming they feel no guilt for taking money they haven't 'earnt', how on earth do they manage to fill their days without working?  :/
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,772 Pioneering
    edited May 4
    Options
    Luchia said:

    Rather than target genuinely suffering people with MH & Physical disabilities they should be going after the ridiculous amount of fake claimers, There’s an excellent documentary series on 4 that called “Benefits Britain” & “Skint Britain” that blatantly show people with absolutely 0 need for benefits and are perfectly able to work but as quoted from one of the people on that show “Why work when I can get it all for free”.
    I've never understood this mentality.  Personally I hate not being able to work.  Even assuming they feel no guilt for taking money they haven't 'earnt', how on earth do they manage to fill their days without working?  :/

    Same here - I was expecting to work until I was 67
    I didn't choose to be disabled !
    It's articles like THIS that annoy me - talking people into putting in a claim - because it's "free money"
    "(PIP) can be worth up to £628 a month and could be a lifeline to those struggling due to the cost of living crisis."
    No mention of needing to be disabled
    Elsewhere in the same RAG - It claims

    "Everyone with these 27 NHS health conditions can still get £798 DWP PIP benefits"


  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Options
    Luchia said:

    Rather than target genuinely suffering people with MH & Physical disabilities they should be going after the ridiculous amount of fake claimers, There’s an excellent documentary series on 4 that called “Benefits Britain” & “Skint Britain” that blatantly show people with absolutely 0 need for benefits and are perfectly able to work but as quoted from one of the people on that show “Why work when I can get it all for free”.
    I've never understood this mentality.  Personally I hate not being able to work.  Even assuming they feel no guilt for taking money they haven't 'earnt', how on earth do they manage to fill their days without working?  :/
    Couldn’t agree more, I held onto my job until it was physically impossible to continue, I was warned by Doctors for several months before I had to hand in my notice but I just couldn’t physically do it anymore. 

    I highly recommend watching “Skint Britain” as the people on it are absolutely disgusting and definitely earned the title of “Scroungers”.
    They show absolutely 0 guilt or remorse and even brag how easy it was to get thousands in benefits for doing nothing, that’s who they need to target 
  • letitbe
    letitbe Community member Posts: 457 Pioneering
    edited May 4
    Options
    Luchia said:
    It sounds like they are gunning for people suffering with MH issues, From what’s been said so far they are specifically targeting people claiming PIP etc for MH.

    As for the 10 year claims it does specify with PIP(And other benefits) that they can re access your claim anytime during your award period so that will be how they get over that hurdle.

    Rather than target genuinely suffering people with MH & Physical disabilities they should be going after the ridiculous amount of fake claimers, There’s an excellent documentary series on 4 that called “Benefits Britain” & “Skint Britain” that blatantly show people with absolutely 0 need for benefits and are perfectly able to work but as quoted from one of the people on that show “Why work when I can get it all for free”.







    That’s probably because there is not a ‘ridiculous’ amount of fake claimers, what a few people say on a TV series ain’t what the majority does ! 

    MH sufferers are the easiest target atm ! 

  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Options
    letitbe said:
    Luchia said:
    It sounds like they are gunning for people suffering with MH issues, From what’s been said so far they are specifically targeting people claiming PIP etc for MH.

    As for the 10 year claims it does specify with PIP(And other benefits) that they can re access your claim anytime during your award period so that will be how they get over that hurdle.

    Rather than target genuinely suffering people with MH & Physical disabilities they should be going after the ridiculous amount of fake claimers, There’s an excellent documentary series on 4 that called “Benefits Britain” & “Skint Britain” that blatantly show people with absolutely 0 need for benefits and are perfectly able to work but as quoted from one of the people on that show “Why work when I can get it all for free”.







    That’s probably because there is not a ‘ridiculous’ amount of fake claimers, what a few people say on a TV series ain’t what the majority does ! 

    MH sufferers are the easiest target! 

    You might be surprised, it shows entire estates who “Help” each other make claims.
    Not saying it will fix the system but before they even thinking of making changes for genuine claims they need to look at going after the ones taking advantage of the system.

    One prime example was a guy on the documentary that was been paid for telling people what to write & say in order to get “Free Money”.
    He had quite a large family(13 kids in total) and every single one of them of age was claiming benefits and the ones too young were “Excited to be old enough to claim free money”.

    MH is indeed an easy target to get off benefits which is why they are gunning for them, it’s an easy/quick target for them.


  • letitbe
    letitbe Community member Posts: 457 Pioneering
    edited May 4
    Options
    Benefit fraud accounts for around 2% of total benefits paid which also includes overpayments/errors by the DWP, so let's not focus on the few bad eggs please. 
    Agreed 

  • letitbe
    letitbe Community member Posts: 457 Pioneering
    Options
    Luchia said:
    letitbe said:
    Luchia said:
    It sounds like they are gunning for people suffering with MH issues, From what’s been said so far they are specifically targeting people claiming PIP etc for MH.

    As for the 10 year claims it does specify with PIP(And other benefits) that they can re access your claim anytime during your award period so that will be how they get over that hurdle.

    Rather than target genuinely suffering people with MH & Physical disabilities they should be going after the ridiculous amount of fake claimers, There’s an excellent documentary series on 4 that called “Benefits Britain” & “Skint Britain” that blatantly show people with absolutely 0 need for benefits and are perfectly able to work but as quoted from one of the people on that show “Why work when I can get it all for free”.







    That’s probably because there is not a ‘ridiculous’ amount of fake claimers, what a few people say on a TV series ain’t what the majority does ! 

    MH sufferers are the easiest target! 

    You might be surprised, it shows entire estates who “Help” each other make claims.
    Not saying it will fix the system but before they even thinking of making changes for genuine claims they need to look at going after the ones taking advantage of the system.

    One prime example was a guy on the documentary that was been paid for telling people what to write & say in order to get “Free Money”.
    He had quite a large family(13 kids in total) and every single one of them of age was claiming benefits and the ones too young were “Excited to be old enough to claim free money”.

    MH is indeed an easy target to get off benefits which is why they are gunning for them, it’s an easy/quick target for them.


    Yes I’ve heard of these shows but never watched them, awful TV , that again feeds a particular kind of person with ammunition to paint all claimants with the same brush . 
  • Remina
    Remina Community member Posts: 168 Pioneering
    Options
    letitbe said:
    Luchia said:
    letitbe said:
    Luchia said:
    It sounds like they are gunning for people suffering with MH issues, From what’s been said so far they are specifically targeting people claiming PIP etc for MH.

    As for the 10 year claims it does specify with PIP(And other benefits) that they can re access your claim anytime during your award period so that will be how they get over that hurdle.

    Rather than target genuinely suffering people with MH & Physical disabilities they should be going after the ridiculous amount of fake claimers, There’s an excellent documentary series on 4 that called “Benefits Britain” & “Skint Britain” that blatantly show people with absolutely 0 need for benefits and are perfectly able to work but as quoted from one of the people on that show “Why work when I can get it all for free”.







    That’s probably because there is not a ‘ridiculous’ amount of fake claimers, what a few people say on a TV series ain’t what the majority does ! 

    MH sufferers are the easiest target! 

    You might be surprised, it shows entire estates who “Help” each other make claims.
    Not saying it will fix the system but before they even thinking of making changes for genuine claims they need to look at going after the ones taking advantage of the system.

    One prime example was a guy on the documentary that was been paid for telling people what to write & say in order to get “Free Money”.
    He had quite a large family(13 kids in total) and every single one of them of age was claiming benefits and the ones too young were “Excited to be old enough to claim free money”.

    MH is indeed an easy target to get off benefits which is why they are gunning for them, it’s an easy/quick target for them.


    Yes I’ve heard of these shows but never watched them, awful TV , that again feeds a particular kind of person with ammunition to paint all claimants with the same brush . 
    Agreed, it's exactly those type of trashy TV shows that are used as propaganda to stir up hatred against people on benefits, they shine a spotlight on a small minority of people who the producers hand-select before filming and then use it to create an over-exaggerated false illusion that everyone on benefits are like the people depicted in the TV show, just a bunch of people who are 'fiddling the system' and 'scrounging'. All for the purpose of stirring up anger/hatred from working people towards all benefit claimants. It's classic 'divide and conquer'. It's the worst, most vile propaganda, I'll never watch those awful, trashy TV shows.
  • letitbe
    letitbe Community member Posts: 457 Pioneering
    edited May 4
    Options
    Remina said:
    letitbe said:
    Luchia said:
    letitbe said:
    Luchia said:
    It sounds like they are gunning for people suffering with MH issues, From what’s been said so far they are specifically targeting people claiming PIP etc for MH.

    As for the 10 year claims it does specify with PIP(And other benefits) that they can re access your claim anytime during your award period so that will be how they get over that hurdle.

    Rather than target genuinely suffering people with MH & Physical disabilities they should be going after the ridiculous amount of fake claimers, There’s an excellent documentary series on 4 that called “Benefits Britain” & “Skint Britain” that blatantly show people with absolutely 0 need for benefits and are perfectly able to work but as quoted from one of the people on that show “Why work when I can get it all for free”.







    That’s probably because there is not a ‘ridiculous’ amount of fake claimers, what a few people say on a TV series ain’t what the majority does ! 

    MH sufferers are the easiest target! 

    You might be surprised, it shows entire estates who “Help” each other make claims.
    Not saying it will fix the system but before they even thinking of making changes for genuine claims they need to look at going after the ones taking advantage of the system.

    One prime example was a guy on the documentary that was been paid for telling people what to write & say in order to get “Free Money”.
    He had quite a large family(13 kids in total) and every single one of them of age was claiming benefits and the ones too young were “Excited to be old enough to claim free money”.

    MH is indeed an easy target to get off benefits which is why they are gunning for them, it’s an easy/quick target for them.


    Yes I’ve heard of these shows but never watched them, awful TV , that again feeds a particular kind of person with ammunition to paint all claimants with the same brush . 
    Agreed, it's exactly those type of trashy TV shows that are used as propaganda to stir up hatred against people on benefits, they shine a spotlight on a small minority of people who the producers hand-select before filming and then use it to create an over-exaggerated false illusion that everyone on benefits are like the people depicted in the TV show, just a bunch of people who are 'fiddling the system' and 'scrounging'. All for the purpose of stirring up anger/hatred from working people towards all benefit claimants. It's classic 'divide and conquer'. It's the worst, most vile propaganda, I'll never watch those awful, trashy TV shows.
    EXACTLY!!! 

    The producers / Editors / interviewers all start out with an agenda of how they want the people on the show to come across and unfortunately it paints a lot of us with the same brush. 

    I worked briefly in TV editing and know exactly how these shows are put together and what goes on behind the scenes. 
    Are there people abusing the system ? Yes there are, but it’s actually a tiny percentage. These shows would have you believe it’s all of us . 

    Vile , depressing TV that should be avoided at all costs . 
  • AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Community member Posts: 287 Pioneering
    edited May 4
    Options
    Luchia said:
    Luchia said:

    Rather than target genuinely suffering people with MH & Physical disabilities they should be going after the ridiculous amount of fake claimers, There’s an excellent documentary series on 4 that called “Benefits Britain” & “Skint Britain” that blatantly show people with absolutely 0 need for benefits and are perfectly able to work but as quoted from one of the people on that show “Why work when I can get it all for free”.
    I've never understood this mentality.  Personally I hate not being able to work.  Even assuming they feel no guilt for taking money they haven't 'earnt', how on earth do they manage to fill their days without working?  :/
    Couldn’t agree more, I held onto my job until it was physically impossible to continue, I was warned by Doctors for several months before I had to hand in my notice but I just couldn’t physically do it anymore. 

    I highly recommend watching “Skint Britain” as the people on it are absolutely disgusting and definitely earned the title of “Scroungers”.
    They show absolutely 0 guilt or remorse and even brag how easy it was to get thousands in benefits for doing nothing, that’s who they need to target 
    You would be surprised to know that those actors on "skint Britain" are paid to pose as benefit claimants and to fit intoTories agenda in demonising the vulnerable people. 
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,781 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 5
    Options
    Luchia said:

    He had quite a large family(13 kids in total)

    Well, I guess that answers the question about how they fill their time!  :#:D
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Skint Britain and benefits Britain are both quite old programs. I don't think anyone should judge someone based on a ridiculous TV program. It's not nice to judged this way. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • letitbe
    letitbe Community member Posts: 457 Pioneering
    Options
    Skint Britain and benefits Britain are both quite old programs. I don't think anyone should judge someone based on a ridiculous TV program. It's not nice to judged this way. 
    Agreed ! 


  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,772 Pioneering
    Options
    Luchia said:
    Luchia said:

    Rather than target genuinely suffering people with MH & Physical disabilities they should be going after the ridiculous amount of fake claimers, There’s an excellent documentary series on 4 that called “Benefits Britain” & “Skint Britain” that blatantly show people with absolutely 0 need for benefits and are perfectly able to work but as quoted from one of the people on that show “Why work when I can get it all for free”.
    I've never understood this mentality.  Personally I hate not being able to work.  Even assuming they feel no guilt for taking money they haven't 'earnt', how on earth do they manage to fill their days without working?  :/
    Couldn’t agree more, I held onto my job until it was physically impossible to continue, I was warned by Doctors for several months before I had to hand in my notice but I just couldn’t physically do it anymore. 

    I highly recommend watching “Skint Britain” as the people on it are absolutely disgusting and definitely earned the title of “Scroungers”.
    They show absolutely 0 guilt or remorse and even brag how easy it was to get thousands in benefits for doing nothing, that’s who they need to target 
    You would be surprised to know that those actors on "skint Britain" are paid to pose as benefit claimants and to fit intoTories agenda in demonising the vulnerable people. 

    Any evidence of this happening ?
  • deelee
    deelee Scope Member Posts: 37 Courageous
    Options
    First, the government said that they were going to make changes with a big "shake up" of UC. Said they wanted UC to be only focused on people looking for work and announced that only those who had PIP would be able to continue to get this added
    "Health Element" support on UC.  they also said that they would not put pressure on people who were disabled to start work or if they found work too challenging that they would not loose access to the help they already had.

    So it is no wonder the number of PIP claims went up. Many had no idea they could apply for PIP on UC. 

    Then enter the latest attack on PIP. Too many new applicants applied according to the government. When we have just come out of a pandemic that caused many to become disabled and because they advised people to apply if on UC to keep their access to the benefit. 

    It almost feels as if their planned overhaul of PIP is an assault on disabled people in general. There are too many of you so we will change the name of it and scrap it to make it even harder to apply for and if you are lucky enough to get help it will only be for vouchers for things that will make your disability magically "disappear". 

    The whole manner in which they have launched such a savage attack on disabled people is shocking. They make it sound as if disabled people chose not to work and that it is a life style choice.

    Sending disabled people on courses or pay for medical intervention - NHS or private funded - is not going to magically solve anything for the disabled and they know that.  Instead of giving money directly to a person to spend on what a persons individual needs as a disabled person are - is very demeaning to say the least.
    Almost not recognizing we are human beings. Human dignity? Compassion?
    Zero for the disabled. 

    Not to mention that we already are being left to dwindle on long waiting lists or already have gone private for what we need.

    Not to mention the humiliating processes they put us through already.

    It also seems the government think that there are loads and loads of jobs to chose from as disabled people. 

    That they can just pair us up with the perfect job as employers are desperately wanting to take on people with disabilities, when we all know this to be untrue.
    Just as government discriminates against us to this very day, we are discriminated against by employers. Not to mention ageism. Being over 50 and disabled makes it very hard to get a job. My sister who had cancer and is 45 was trying to find work and she as told by the Job Center to leave it off her CV that she had cancer and her age. 
    So as a disabled person, do you think they would advise us to do the same? 

    It strikes me that it cant be legal for the government to change the rules to make it harder for disabled people and to constantly re define what is a disability and what is not - such as mental health. Any mental health is a serious life debilitating disability. 

    Surely it goes against our human rights and I fear the outcome of what it will do to all disabled people - the harm it will cause. Surely homelessness or worse. 

    If these new changes go ahead, regardless of who ends up running the country,
    perhaps all 3 million of us, should consider what are our legal rights in order to challenge the hostile new changes that they want to bring about. 
    They should be protecting us. 

    This is surely wrong and indeed discriminatory against disabled people.

    We will need to see what the outcome will be as the devil is in the detail as they say. 
    I would really like to know what others feel. If any of their ideas actually end up becoming our reality, is it actually legal? Does anyone else know where we would stand? 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.