If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Allotments Support for Disabled People

Options
csno01
csno01 Community member Posts: 393 Pioneering
Hi Everyone, 

i hope everyone is keeping well and enjoying the sunshine? 

Who enjoys getting out into the fresh air and growing their own produce? This is something I have an interest in and was wondering if anyone had access to either an alotment or garden and if there was any support available to disabled people in this field. 

Thank You :-)
CSno01

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,074 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We had an allotment like 15 years ago, they were owned by the council and you had to rent one

It was really cheap, like £15 for a whole year for quite a decent size plot

Apparently there is a big waiting list now, when we had one lots of people would rent like 2 or more next to each other and make a big one, now you are lucky to get a single half plot

I don't know what kind of adaptations you would need but I think it would be hard to make provisions for anyone in a wheelchair. They are often in fields, and the road up to them is usually a dirt track. There isn't a pavement, you are just walking on the grass or dirt track

Also obviously you can do what you want with your plot so you could make it wheelchair friendly, but that would use up a lot of room

Raised beds might be an option if you have trouble bending or crouching

If there's anything more I could explain more specifically just let me know and I'll try to answer :blush:
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 393 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank You for your reply @66Mustang, that is very helpful. I am visually impaired although not a wheelchair user, so there are Some  points to consider. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,074 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh OK @csno01

I don't have any experience of visual impairment so I might not be thinking of helpful stuff here but just a few things I can think of from when we had our allotment

Most allotments are in a field somewhere out of the way, like I said earlier they are without a proper footpath, and it's sometimes quite potholed and uneven, if that would present an issue

Usually however you are able to drive right up to them if you want, with few issues, unless you have some kind of sports car. So if you can have someone drop you off, that could be a viable option. I'm not sure if a taxi would agree to drive there, though

Not that I am against accessibility but just being realistic, sadly for the very much token cost they charge you to rent one, I don't think making them accessible is an option, unless they multiplied the rent by like 20

If you can manage it, I do think it's very therapeutic and a really great thing to do, especially if you have nowhere to grow stuff at home. Plus the veggies taste nicer as well :blush:
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.