New DSA assessment for new university or old one from old university?

JumpingJames
JumpingJames Community member Posts: 45 Contributor
edited August 21 in Education and skills

Hello, from 2022 I was studying BSc Physiotherapy with foundation year. I had a DSA assessment in 2022 for OCD, anxiety, social phobia, and eating disorder. I completed the foundation year and did four weeks of the first year. Then I suspended university because physiotherapy was not for me. I tried to transfer to a course that fitted me better at the same university (occupational therapy) but this was rejected after an interview. So whilst I was suspended I applied for other universities near me to study BSc occupational therapy and got into two of them which I will be studying in September.

Since my DSA assessment in 2022 I have been diagnosed with two further conditions (ADHD and pigment dispersion syndrome/high intraocular pressure (problem with eyes)).

So I am wondering if my old DSA assessment will be used for my new course, or if I will get/should have a new assessment. I haven't applied for DSA yet. From my new conditions I would like if possible blue light blocking glasses, noise cancelling headphones and a subscription to a writing programme called ProWriting Aid. I would like the old support from 2022 plus extra for my new conditions. Do you think it is possible to get these added to me DSA old report or to make a new one? On the application, it probably will say have I had DSA before what if I just tick no and start a new claim?  Thank you, James.

Comments

• JumpingJames
    JumpingJames Community member Posts: 45 Contributor
    Anyone?
  • TomZee
    TomZee Community member Posts: 5 Listener

I moved to another university for another course and was able to in-effect take my old assessment with me. They used my old assessment, sent initially to my new uni disability support team. I also needed to change my support needs which was adjusted by my original assessors with additional evidence.

I did need to liaise with the new university disability advisors who helped and provided evidence to the DSA about the new course/university. The new university had different processes to the old university so be prepared for that.

The DSA support team themselves were helpful in clarifying what they wanted. Best to talk on the phone if you can at some point. I hope that helps.

This was a few years ago though.