Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Information for Housing Situation.

Akire2403 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello! I am a 31 year old Carer looking after my 32 year old Mentally Disabled Husband. We currently live in a 3 bed house with my mother who is the main tenant, we claim the other 2 bedrooms with permission from the HA we are with. 
My mother recently has expressed desire to move out, either through swapping or just giving the house up and moving in with her long term partner. If she does this she is going to leave us homeless and this has doubled previous tension between all of us, as she has had trouble with debts, evictions and bailiffs in the past, It has left us bOth nervous wrecks as we panic if someone knocks on the door incase it is for my mother.

 My partner has said recently that if we are going to have to move, he would like to go back to his home town, in a different district as his mother is of ill health and needs help and he an only child.

I tried last year to get on the housing there, but my husband does not have any kind of mental health help, OTs or a social care assessment, they make him scared, nervous and paranoid, so our application was not successful. He has said lately that he would try his best to get mental health help to show how the housing situation we live in does not help him mentally and causes him alot of distress but we don't know where to start, we went to his GP who referred us somewhere else, but they then the referral sent us somewhere else and it's just a waiting game at the moment and since my mother hasn't actually given us a time period, we can't claim homelessness.

This whole situation is highly distressing for my husband and its just getting worse as he has always hated where we live as it is loud, busy and he has no where he can relax.

Does anyone have any idea where I can start? Due to the housing situation I can't claim housing element or DHP for a rent deposit on a private rental.


  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,782 Scope online community team
    Hi there @Akire2403 and welcome to the community.

    I'm sorry to hear about the housing situation and how your husband has been struggling to speak to various mental health teams, that must be very hard on the both of you. It can often feel like you're being passed from pillar to post, as often the people your GP may refer you to may just be intermediaries and it can feel like it's taking forever. 

    Have you spoken to anyone from Shelter? They may at least be able to point you in the right direction of someone to speak to regarding the potential homelessness if they're unable to help? 

    Hopefully some of our community may have some more pointers for you soon. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.