Severe disability payment

suzihymas
suzihymas Community member Posts: 1 Listener

I was wondering can anyone help? I from schizophrenia so I have high rate pip and old style ESA I was receiving severe disability payment in with my ESA. Back in 2020 I had my severe disability payment stopped as my carer (a family member) started to work less then 14 hours a wk. So in the beginning of 2021 she stopped claiming carers at all, thinking the payment would be added back to my ESA. However I noticed my payments never changed. So on the 3rd of may my new support worker rang up DWP they explained what it was (severe disability payment) so whilst I was on the phone with DWP I was asked some questionswhich I happily answered. The lady I spoke with was very nice. My support worker asked about if I will be backdated etc and how long it will take. The lady said up to 12 wks to find out. I was wondering gas anyone else had this problem? I've been living on payments of only 260/280 a fortnight from ESA and my pip covers alot of my bills but not all of them so I struggle to even go get my medication because I cant afford to go get it and i previously I paid someone to go gey them for me because social situations I struggle with. I am struggling alot to even eat as after bills I don't have a lot of money left.

I have received severe disability payment since I was around 18. No I live alone my mum which was my main carer passed away so life is difficult at the moment. Does anyone know if it is normal to wait 12 wks for a decision? Ok

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,395 Online Community Coordinator

Hey there @suzihymas anda very late welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to see no one was able to offer you any advice here, I just wanted to see how you were getting on now?

• matthew04
    matthew04 Community member Posts: 17 Connected

was wanting to ask a question , I have never received the SDP when I was awarded pip ( daily and esa contribution based support group ) back in feb 2016 , my partner started caring for me in august 2017 I’m I right to say I should have received SDP from feb 2016 to august 2017 ?, there’s nothing in my paper work thank you

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 708 Pioneering

Disability premiums only apply to income based benefits, if you were wholly on CB ESA then you wouldn't have been eligible.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,306 Championing

Even if part of your ESA was Income Related at that time, if you were living with your partner you would have only been entitled to SDP if your partner also claimed a qualifying disability benefit or was registered blind.