Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is kirsty11111!

kirsty11111 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

hi i am on uc and havnt recieved my 1st payment yet but i got keys to a house on 17th may and have no furniture or electrical appliances i am currently 23 weeks pregnant and am stuggling to get by as i have a very low income once my uc comes in is there anyone that could help i have also applied for a descrisonary grant but have to wait for 30 days on a reply /decision this is my 1st home and i dont know what to do


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,055 Disability Gamechanger

    Is the grant you applied for from your local Authority? If not then you can try asking them to see if there's any help they can give. There\s some inform

    If you're entitled to UC then 11 weeks before the baby is due you can apply for a Sure Start Maternity Grant. It's £500 and will help you to buy some things for the baby.

    There's also some information here.

    You should also check Facebook and gumtree in your local area because very often people give things away or sell for very cheap.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 3,158 Scope online community team

    Hi @kirsty11111, welcome to our community 😊 Poppy makes some very good suggestions. Local authorities often have grants to help those who need furniture and appliances.

    You can also find second-hand appliances more cheaply in re-use organisations. You can search for nearby ones here.

    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.