If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Exercise

Options
CWS247Pm
CWS247Pm Scope Member Posts: 20 Connected

I really want to lose weight just belly fat and legs fat cause I get upset how I feel and people like people at day service look at me say I need to lose weight. Can you think of anything I can do at moment I’m 11.4 and happy with that

Comments

• Bydand
    Bydand Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    Options

Hi CWS247Pm

The first thing to say is don’t let comments or perceived comments made by others upset you, or try not too anyway as I know it can be a hard thing to ignore. Comments made can really knock confidence and self esteem, but on the other hand you can take those comments, spin them on there head and use them to spur you on.

Take away those people making comments to you, the first thing I would ask is are you happy with how you look and feel?…do you genuinly feel you need to lose a little weight or are you reacting to others?

Regardless though, there are things you can do in order to lose a bit of belly and leg fat and generally tone up those areas.

As this is a disability forum, can I ask ( and you don’t need too answer) but do you have a disability or illness that prevents you exercising and maybe hinders your daily activities. Ie, are you already active, do you work, are you quite a sedentary person, can you make time to commit to exercise

How old are you as this might influence any suggestions I have from a safety point of view.

Do you have interests or an interest in trying a new sport, exercise or hobby that you’ve maybe thought looks great.

Are you female….i only ask as males and females tend to store fat on their bodies differently.

Hopefully you don’t feel I am being too intrusive but how you reply will make it easier to hopefully help.

Look forward to any reply you make

Until then

Take it easy

S

• CWS247Pm
    Options

yes I do have a learning disability and learning difficulties I have epilepsy and autism and some mental health problems. I’m a female I’m 38 years old. I go to a day centre. I don’t work but I volunteer at scope on Mondays. It’s hard to listen to comments like that I have had a eating disorder and got better but I got better but sometimes I go down hill

• Bydand
    Options

Hi again,

Thank you for telling me a bit more about you, it really helps.

It seems like you have had your own struggles to deal with but good for you in bettering your eating disorder….my niece is battling anorexia and although doing well there are highs and lows most months so I understand it’s not easy….like you she has had comments (sometimes with the best intentions behind them) and it clearly effects her.

The only thing I would point out is that diet is a part of any weight loss regime and I would hate that you got so fixated on this solely, having had an eating disorder previously…..it really is about doing everything in moderation whether that’s diet or exercise and understanding that in its simplest form, doing something is always better that doing nothing and making even small changes can make a big difference.

So, In answer to your question there really isn’t any quick fix I’m afraid . Losing body fat isn’t quick or at times easy and will require hard work on your part and a commitment that can be difficult at times when life has other things going on.

It’s likely that you know what you need to do already but I have broken it down below.

Losing belly and leg fat involves a combination of a healthy diet, regular exercise, and lifestyle changes. Here are some effective strategies:

Diet

1. Caloric Deficit:
      • Consume fewer calories than you burn. Use a calorie calculator to determine your daily needs. There is no need to go crazy or to extremes but subtle changes can help.
    2. Balanced Nutrition:
      • Focus on whole foods: vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats.
      • Avoid processed foods, sugary drinks, and excessive salt.
    3. Protein Intake:
      • Protein helps with muscle repair and can increase satiety. Include sources like chicken, fish, beans, and nuts.
    4. Hydration:
      • Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and support metabolism.

Exercise

1. Cardiovascular Workouts:
      • Engage in activities like running, cycling, swimming, or brisk walking for at least 150 minutes per week.
    2. Strength Training:
      • Incorporate exercises that target multiple muscle groups, such as squats, lunges, deadlifts, and leg presses.
      • Aim for at least two days of strength training per week.
    3. High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT):
      • Short bursts of intense exercise followed by rest periods can effectively burn fat.
    4. Core Exercises:
      • Include exercises like planks, leg raises, and Russian twists to strengthen abdominal muscles.

Lifestyle Changes

1. Sleep:
      • Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep per night. Lack of sleep can hinder weight loss efforts.
    2. Stress Management:
      • Practice stress-reducing techniques like yoga, meditation, or deep breathing. Chronic stress can lead to weight gain.
    3. Consistency:
      • Be consistent with your diet and exercise routine. Results take time, so maintain a steady approach.
    4. Avoid Spot Reduction Myth:
      • Understand that you cannot target fat loss in specific areas. Focus on overall body fat reduction.

Monitoring Progress

Dont be a slave to this but sometimes it can be helpful to do the following but not always necessary.

1. Track Your Food Intake:
      • Use a food diary or an app to monitor your diet and ensure you stay within your calorie limits.
    2. Measure Progress:
      • Use measurements, photos, or how your clothes fit rather than relying solely on the scale.
    3. Adjust as Needed:
      • Regularly assess your progress and make adjustments to your diet and exercise plan as necessary.

Combining these strategies will help you effectively reduce belly and leg fat over time. Remember, it's important to approach weight loss with patience and persistence and not be disheartened through any lack of progress,

As someone who has always been involved with physical activity, the above can sound time consuming and
    a bit unattainable. In the perfect world the above would be the ideal ,but incorporating at least some of these things into your daily living will help.

My final piece of advice would be regarding exercising….try and find something you like doing as you are more likely going to want to continue doing it and seeing improvements. Especially if starting out Try doing things at home (so no one can hear or see you sweating and grunting lol 😊) like resistance band training or body weight exercises, even marching on the spot using weighted wrist or ankle cuffs is good.

I know this is long winded, and you likely already know the points I’ve mentioned but if there is anything else you think I can help with then please feel free to ask away. I might not have all the answers but I can generally have a good stab at giving you thought out information.

• CWS247Pm
    Options

thank you for your help yes it is heard to get better. I hope your nince gets better. And I do some of them just people are upsetting me about my weight. Should I tell staff and my key worker you think what people said to me

• Bydand
    Options

Hi

I think that if you are upset about the comments being made and you can’t easily forget about them and you trust the staff and in particular your key worker then it can’t hurt in letting them know what’s been happening how you feel…if nothing else they can then be more attentive in their observations and step in gently if the need arises….anything you tell them should be in confidence and not openly shared…..This way you are not getting into any conflict with others by trying to address things yourself.

The day centre that you attend should be a safe environment and you should feel that in attending you personally get something out of it…if as a result of comments made to you it upsets you then you are likely not going to enjoy going and won’t get any benefit as you have other things on your mind.

Maybe a few others on the forum can chip in

Take care

S

• CWS247Pm
    Options

thank you the staff are very nice and my key worker is lovely

• Bydand
    Options

well that should make things far easier should you decide to confide in them.

S

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 255 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @CWS247Pm 😊

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with other people at your day centre making negative comments. I echo what @Bydand has said in their posts. You have come so far to battle an eating disorder, it must have been very difficult. Think about what you want. Do you want to lose weight? People will always make judgements but the most important thing is to love ourselves first.

I think telling your key worker about the issues would be good as they can hopefully help. I noticed that you volunteer at Scope too. If you are struggling with anything you can confide in your manager if you feel comfortable. We're also here for you too 😊

Rachel (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

• CWS247Pm
    Options

thank you

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.