Reasonable adjustment pushback

LegoLady
LegoLady Community member Posts: 3 Listener

Hi, this is my first post but I just wanted some outside perspective.

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and work part time. I’ve worked for the business for almost 20 years. My role can and has been done completely from home since covid. They are now asking that we return to the office 1 day a week. Unfortunately, even half a day has a huge knock on effect to my health in the following days.

I was referred for an OH report which recommended full WFH due to the impact on my health. My union rep is involved and was very confident that as there would be no financial impact or impact on the running of the business that it would be agreed.

However, my manager said that they were unable to allow full WFH due to business needs. (Although to date they haven’t given a reason other than nobody else has had WFH as a reasonable adjustment in the department.) My union rep requested a meeting with the manager, us and HR to discuss.

My manager spoke to me and is reiterating that full WFH is not an option and that HR are not required to meet with me to discuss it so have declined to meet. Instead they have sent a list of adjustments that they feel are reasonable including things like extra breaks if required. They’ve also said that if I want to apply for WFH it would need to be done as a flexible working request.

I have another meeting set with my union but wondered if anyone could give any advice or share their similar experiences?

Comments

• Pinkypops
    Pinkypops Community member Posts: 1 Listener

As someone who was previously a manager for a big team of people( who all are still wfh post covid) I think a lot of it has to do with your senior manager being concerned about others on the team complaining you are getting special treatment IF you were working in the office prior. I suggest you get all your ducks in a row with a full report from your doctor and a list of bullet points showing how your condition has worsened since pre Covid times. Make sure you have a good case and it is all written down concisely. Sorry thats not the best reply but good luck anyway!!

• LegoLady

Thank you!
    Yes that’s the impression I’m getting too. They really don’t want to set a precedent.
    The list of changes post covid is a great idea. It’s a bit hard to quantify but I’ll get it all down. The CFS fluctuates and change sometimes happens so gradually that you don’t realise how much it has changed your routine 😕.

• kc1978
    kc1978 Community member Posts: 71 Contributor

Hi,

I had similar , although 2 days a week, requested days together so could arrange hotel and care. Never happened. I'd have to leave at 5 am, then meetings out late in afternoon meaning not getting home till 7-9pm. The impact this had was substantial. A special desk and chair I have at home needed a new at office wasn't even put in place after 5 months.

They will say:

If we do it for 1 it opens the floodgates for others.

You need to be seen, it's important that you are able to meet your seniors, directors and to support others.

It ensures they can monitor work behaviours and interactions.

It prevents isolation.

From what I seen, even if it went to ACAS it depends on are they being unreasonable. Nightmare for you. I completely understand how it affects you, it caused major deterioration in my physical health but also in my mental health.

Is there anyone else who does it. If there is then you stand a chance.

Good luck!

• LegoLady

Thank you for the replies.
    There are a few people with full WFH contracts that I know of. It’s listed as a working option on our internal website, including testimonial from someone who just preferred working at home. So I’m a bit baffled why I’m having to do all this when other departments can just get it rubber stamped.