What barriers do you face for work?

wendy41
wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Empowering

I was recently asked this and felt vexed that the onus was on me and I was to blame for being out of work!

I immediately turned it around and said 'I don't have any barriers towards work; it's employers who have barriers towards me'.

When asked on an application form 'do you need any accomadations? and it's YES/NO

amazing how you don't hear back from the employer. In my view it's a simple way to disregard you without the option of an interview. But then again they have application tracking system (ATS) for an even easier way of 'trashing you'.

It would be interesting to know how many of you have faced this same question.

Tagged:

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,999 Online Community Coordinator

I've found I often wouldn't hear back from potential employers, even if I'd said I didn't need any accommodations. Looking for jobs these days really is a marathon for the mind.

• Amaya_Ringo
    Amaya_Ringo Community member Posts: 90 Empowering

Interviews.
    Complicated application forms.
    Employers pulling job applications early.
    General prejudice against autistic people and what we can/can't do.
    Transport limitations/Navigational difficulties (I have had to pass up so many jobs because of this, because I live in an area where the local Council determined we don't need a proper bus)

To be fair I don't find much individual discrimination. I see it more as systemic than the people interviewing me are prejudiced. Being scored on points in an interview vs nonautistic people for a job that I've done for 7 years already is not helpful. Needless to say, I don't get those jobs. :/

Disability Confident has always felt like a: forced disclosure and b: a diversity tick for the company but not really a raised chance of getting a job.

I have had those who don't want to know, though. I got turned down for a job once for having too much experience. I had a job coach at the time and she agreed it was ableism - but she also said I was probably better off not working for them.

• wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Empowering

@Adrian_Scope

Can you please delete my last post on here (not helpful).

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,999 Online Community Coordinator

No problem @wendy41 I've deleted the comment for you. 😊

• SaraC_Scope
    SaraC_Scope CP Network, Scope Posts: 86 Empowering
    edited September 5

Hi.

I will occasionally visit job vacancy websites or Local Authority vacancies. I'm interested in counsellor roles in my area (which are few and far between). I read the job description and think to myself, this could be for me and hope builds, only to read the very last sentence: a valid driver's licence is required for this role.

I'm a disabled person and unable to drive for medical reasons. That last statement frustrates me, as I meet the criteria in every area apart from that one. I really wish companies and organisations would put the driving requirement at the top of the description. At least then I wouldn't spend ten minutes reading about a role I'm unable to apply for.

I find this so disheartening.

Sara