Degenerative disc disease Fluttering Bubbling Sensations

onedayatatime
onedayatatime Community member Posts: 212 Empowering

Does anyone else have this uncomfortable sensation? It feels like pockets of air bubbling and popping around the spine. It's not pain like a spasm or cramp, but such a horrible uncomfortable feeling that it makes me queasy. There is no audible noise, clicking or clunking and it happens when I am laying or sitting still. It feels like small amounts of pressure quickly building in one spot that suddenly pops. Diazepam is ineffective and these continuos sensations can last for about an hour before gradually easing up.

Comments

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @onedayatatime.

I haven't experienced this myself, it sounds unpleasant. The only thing I have which may be slightly similar is at the back of my neck I get an uncomfortable feeling and it means I need to move my head to ease it and when I move my head it crackles. It can happen multiple times in a row or just randomly throughout the day. I don't know if that's similar in any way? I also don't know why it happens or what I can do.

Sorry that's not much help. Hopefully someone else may understand what you're experiencing.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,343 Championing

Hi @onedayatatime - what you're describing may be what's called 'crepitus' which can be a symptom of 'arthritis' or 'joint degeneration,' tho can be completely normal. As Rachel has found (& myself also) it commonly occurs in the neck but also the rest of the spine, knees & other joints. It can be caused by air bubbles & may just be a symptom of your underlying Degenerative disc disease.

I find that when I lie down, as my spine settles into this new position, then this can occur (which may be similar to yourself). I also get it most frequently in my knees; all of this is most likely a symptom of my underlying joint hypermobility.

If this is causing you any concern, then please do discuss it with your GP/consultant.

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-why-joints-really-pop-and-what-it-means-for-your-poor-old-body

• Rachel_Scope

Thanks for that info @chiarieds. I've never asked what mine is so this is really useful. I'm also hypermobile. When I was younger I thought it was great but now I'm older I'm suffering with the consequences!

• onedayatatime
    onedayatatime Community member Posts: 212 Empowering

Thank you for that @chiarieds and @Rosie_Scope . I will definitely read up on it. Just to add, I had to look up the term hypermobile and understand it as being 'double jointed'. Coincidentally, I am also double jointed. I still sit on the floor in what I think they call a w sitting position with knees bent outwards. As a kid I can remember being taken to see someone about my legs and apparently when even younger, they wanted to put calipers on my legs. I think later in life my family may have had aspirations of me becoming a gymnast or something 😂😂 😂 I can just about manage getting back off the floor now 😂

• Rachel_Scope

Yes @onedayatatime it was always referred to as double-jointed when I was young. I definitely thought I could be an acrobat 😂