AAD Adult Autism Diagnosis- Right to Choose

chris1717
chris1717 Community member Posts: 18 Listener

Hello Albus, I was reading your post about right to choose for Adult Autism Diagnosis and noticed that it seems this option is not enabled if you have other connected healthcare care needs.

Therefore, I would appreciate it if you could inform if you think that my present approach will not be voided or cancelled out.

This is my situation.

In May of this year I finally forced through application under right to choose for AAD. I selected a provider and after some years of resistance from my GP eventually forced through.

What helped in my case was a late 2023 APD Audio Processing Disorder diagnosis and the connected Neurological Assessments by two sep teams. These separate assessments both informed again I scored the max for Q10 testing and high on related assessments etc. As a result those reports advised expedited AAD etc, so those reports or statements formed part of my referral to access under the right to choose provider as my local resource has obstructed for many years and recorded as at least 10 years etc seeking to ignore and other connected concerns dating back to early 2000 which my GP should have really referred then for initial review etc but did not.

At present I am waiting to hear back by email from my selected provider as I have still not received anything to confirm receipt etc which was mailed out as recorded delivery. I ended up having to put together with my present Doctors letter and the connected Q10 further needed etc and then my additional supporting information etc as my GP admin team had somehow filled in a Q10 form on my behalf which was not as I would have answered etc and I became concerned that this problematic admin team and one of the Doctors who failed to support audiologist needs and ignored ENT referrals indicating APD needed to be investigated was possibly obstructing access further for me to obtain AAD etc.

OK, so that is where I am at presently awaiting something back from Psychiatry UK after sending I think in late May or early June.

My APD has now been diagnosed and I will eventually access something called Hearing Therapy. Before that though I have to receive a sep referral due to a scan of my left ear / skull I think identifying Chronic Sinus Maxillary and presently waiting and chasing for that new ENT referral.

I am also awaiting to be assigned to a new Urology Team related to bladder issues, frequent urination enlarge prostate. I was under the care of a single Urologist from Jan 2023 to Feb 2024 and the last appointment of Feb 2024 was aborted due to sound hearing needs not being supported resulting in extreme pain and distress at attempted Urodynamics appointment. As a result I may need to be put under, but not sure I can cope with the inability to support needs. A fear of waking up after wires and tubes inserted and no one understanding the noise sensory issues leaves me in fear of being put back into extreme distress which resulted my in yelling and repeatedly banging my head before I had to yell for the procedure to stop. Therefore, awaiting to be transferred to new sep team of more minds etc.

I am also being referred to investigate Chronic Fatigue. Chasing this referral and awaiting.

Then shortly and after a long wait I am about to access CBT conducted by a senior therapist for PTSD to include this resource identification of severe depression and anxiety. Complex PTSD has been discussed. At this point they state it is not Complex PTSD but the senior therapist will remain mindful. Apparently CBT can not be used for Complex PTS via the talking therapist approach I have accessed here. However I am aware that a dedicated PTSD resource exits connected to this team and I am guessing here but they may need to commence PTSD CBT to further identify and I am guessing that this approach may then be able to refer or Or open up Access etc, I do not know.

The reasons why I have referenced the above information is that on reading something you posted I questioned if my other referrals may prevent access to AAD under the right to choose.

Could you please clarify here if any of the above will prevent my right to choose option to obtain AAD assessment process.

Regards, C

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,910 Online Community Coordinator

Hey there @chris1717 apologies for the delay in replying.

That's a lot to process there, thanks for the detail. 😁
    From what I've read, you shouldn't have any issues with Right to Choose for ASD, as it's a separate medical pathway, so the various other tests you've had wont affect the ASD assessments. So in theory, you're good to go! It may be worth contacting Psychiatry UK again, just to ask if they received your forms? Though I know they're proving to be very popular now, so there may be long delays. They say they can't offer timescales, but it may give you some peace of mind.

• chris1717

HI Albus, Thank you for your reply. I was concerned that another referral may make it hard to define / diagnosis AAD . Thank you for confirming that it seems all IK for me etc. I agree that it would be helpful to contact Psychiatry UK but they don’t seem to engage direct so it may need to happen via my Doctor which makes it all the more complicated. I hope the fact that I sent the document to them does not cancel out my referral to them etc.

I will quickly now think about firing off a email to Psychiatry UK to see if they respond or not.

Kind regards,

C.

• roxycola
    roxycola Community member Posts: 3 Listener

Hi, wow, there's so much detail in your post that I don't really understand it all.

What I can share is that I have recently, in my 60's, been diagnosed with Autistic spectrum disorder. I have many other diagnosis of a variety of other conditions, both mental health and physical. All give me a diagnosis with a long name. And this is the point.

What ever our diagnosis,the label is in my opinion only useful for one thing; to give access to treatments!

• bobby123
    bobby123 Community member Posts: 253 Empowering

My forms went in April and I have been informed my assesment will likely be in January, UK psychiatry has had a lot of referrals since the begining of the year.

The waiting list was 4 months, then 6 months and now it's 8 months

• chris1717

Hi Bobby,

That is really helpful.

My info went early June I think need to check. I am therefore possibly two months or so behind you. I think in early September I will ask my Doctor / GP practice to chase as it seems that they are hard to get through to independently.

Have you actually received something back from them in writing, or did you chase by phone?

Regards,

C