Spotlight on adaptive school uniform and clothing

Lola_Scope
Lola_Scope Scope Family Services Posts: 29 Family Services

Our parent advisers are available to answer your questions about adaptive clothing.

This includes:

•Clothing and uniform for children with sensory needs

•High street alternatives that can be adapted and save you money

•Asking school for reasonable adjustments to your child's uniform

Please also use this space to:

·       Share general tips and advice that can help other parents

·       Feel connected.

Comments

• Lola_Scope

Did you know that Marks & Spencer have a range of adaptive and Easy Dress clothing for kids?

This includes school uniform.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,558 Online Community Programme Lead
    edited August 22

Thanks @Lola_Scope

My youngest struggles with fastenings and we've been very impressed to find lots of options this year, particularly for shirts and have opted for ones that appear to be button-down but are actually velcro.

We're fortunate that our locals schools have always been quite helpful and willing to make uniform adjustments when requested, but I know it can be a real issue for some parents.

• Lola_Scope

Hi @Adrian_Scope

It’s good to hear that you’re having a positive experience both in terms of being able to purchase items you need and getting support from school. Is there anywhere in particular that you’d recommend to other parents?

• Jenna_Scope
    Jenna_Scope Scope Family Services Posts: 5 Family Services

Recommend Primark for seamless school socks - only £4 for 4 pairs, it's good to see these more freely available on the high street.

Also recommend swapping out regular shoe laces for the elasticated type to make school shoes or trainers pull on rather than lace up. They can be quite cheaply bought in sports shops or on Amazon.

• Lola_Scope

It is great that more high street retailers and providing these products and helping to bring costs down @Jenna_Scope.

That's also a great tip regarding the shoelaces. Thank you for sharing.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,558 Online Community Programme Lead

We've found the velcro shirts in both ASDA and Next but lots of high street shops are now doing them which is great.

Seamless socks are a good shout, thanks @Jenna_Scope.

• Lola_Scope

Yes, @Adrian_Scope I’ve heard good things about the ASDA range of Sensory Clothing. For children with sensory issues, parents had also recommended Sensory Smart for clothes and advice on sensory challenges more generally.

• Doris_Scope
    Doris_Scope Scope Family Services Posts: 145 Family Services
    edited August 22

It is so good to see high street stores now providing sensory clothing. If you buy from specific sensory websites the costs are incredibly high.

Another place to shop is actually Amazon. Type "sensory friendly" before the actual product you are looking for. For instance type "sensory friendly school trousers" in the search bar. You can then get quite a selection.

• SaraC_Scope
    SaraC_Scope CP Network, Scope Posts: 86 Empowering

I found Next do a good range of pull on clothing. This is especially helpful for children who can't manage buttons and zips. Their range includes shirts, trousers, skirts and shoes.

It's so good to have these options available.

Sara

Family Services Advisor.

• chickensun
    chickensun Scope Member Posts: 2 Listener

does anyone know where I can get some shoes altered so they will fit me. ? Please. I’m having a lot of issues with finding shoes to fit my horrible feet. I have a pair here that was made for me from the local hospital, unfortunately I can’t wear them, they are pretty heavy and cut me at the back near my ankle, so I don’t wear them.

• SaraC_Scope
    SaraC_Scope CP Network, Scope Posts: 86 Empowering

Hi @chickensun

I'm not sure where you might get shoes altered. Have you contacted the hospital to let them know the shoes aren't suitable? There is a site called Fledglings Adaptive Footwear that might have suitable alternatives.

Sara