Worried

Catherine21
Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,018 Empowering

I'm quiet scared as two days before roits I wrote to disability minister Stephen timms I said so many things I'm actually terrified I'm in trouble asked why they discriminate disabled people why they act like kids in parliament for years we have had to deal with tories and now looks like labour the same god loads of stuff keep thinking police going to turn up with all that's happening taking people to court said do they want to keep us low so we can't fight back said migration said your feeding us to the lions and you know it job centre staff over worked under qualified god why did I send as two days riots started now I'm frightened that I have to much freedom of speech

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,554 Online Community Programme Lead

@Catherine21 I know it is easier said than done but please try not to worry. It sounds like your message to the disability minister was regarding benefits, the rioters that are being arrested are for things like hate speech, threats, destruction of property and stealing. I'm sure your message to them was fine. How are you today?

• Catherine21

I also wrote why do you act like children in parliament this is our life's your messing with why don't you care god and more I did get a response saying he read with interest and will be passing it on and a response in due cause that was 8th August I'm beside myself because I did ask why spend 8 million on refugees when people homeless and why aren't refugees going on uc thats the part I'm worried about

• Catherine21

I said it should be a fair system for everyone everyone deserves a home I said seen lady sleeping outside tescos the danger she must face I spoke to Mel who I do one to one with she said you was asking questions no hate and obviously I haven't written anything on FB or instergram I feel like I've done something horrendous awful feeling I het passionate about homeless I think if they was going to arrest me they would of done by now maybe

• Catherine21

I also said why does the government discrimination against disabled that we have been used in the general election for people to hate on us and I said comes from the tories

• Catherine21

I said pushing us into migration knowing its not setup for us the jobcentre staff overworked under qualified feeding us to the wolves then two days later all kicked off

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,554 Online Community Programme Lead

Hello @Catherine21, I agree with Mel, it sounds like you were asking questions and putting across your opinion. If they've already responded to you I don't imagine you have anything to worry about. Try to put it out of your mind.

• Catherine21

Oh shaking no way am I rightwigned as they say I need to sit on things before I put out there because I feel so much I'm a space of minute hour and my thoughts changed rapidly I've been so overwhelmed when I told my daughter I sent that email she was shocked she said I never imagine you thinking that way wow I'm shocked she said and to be honest it was fear based like I could lose everything thinking its unfair all fear based and honestly for first time in my life I acted like I have no empathy when I'm the most empathic person going I fell like I let myself down especially my daughter as we both are very open minded and she comes from refugee blood and was disappointed with me as i am myself one of those moments when you wish could turn back clock and then when riots kicked off was shaking as i truly have no hate for anyone only myself

• Bluebell21
    Bluebell21 Community member Posts: 792 Empowering

Hi @Catherine21 I would try not to worry about this anymore. You were looking for answers and some reassurance from your MP, and just putting forward how worried you were.

You have written the email now and worrying about it will not change anything.

I hope you get a reply soon, although your MP might not have all the answers for you.

• Catherine21

Oh bless you thankyou xx

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 707 Championing

@Catherine21

Stop worrying! The MP’s response indicates they have read your email and are taking your concerns seriously. Even if your email was strongly worded due to frustration, you are not in trouble. It's perfectly ok to ask challenging questions of MPs, that's part of the UK democratic process. MPs are there to address our concerns and be accountable for their decisions.

Catherine21, after reviewing your posts and concerns, I looked into the new Online Safety Act 2024. This new law tackles harmful online behaviour, such as incitement to violence and threats, and sets new standards for online communications. However, it is not designed to curb normal public discussions. Based on the content of your communication with Stephen Timms, which you have shared with us, your views appear legitimate and, in my opinion, do not fall under this new law.

Now might be a good time for all of us to pause and reflect before sending messages. Taking a moment to think can help us avoid impulsive posts and ensure our communications are clear, respectful, and compliant with the new law.

• Catherine21

Thankyou so much definitely not being impulsive again I've been terrified literally shaking imagine getting arrested I need to control myself 10 mins of writing email caused ne great stress also my daughter really disappointed that I even asked that question and in hindsight I wouldn't thankyou very much for your message thankyou