Were this to happen, there is a number of possible responses

Cantilip
Cantilip Community member Posts: 624 Empowering

Warning Labour will strip pensioners of their prescriptions and bus passes next (msn.com)

The simplest, since people need their medication to stay alive, is a charge of attempted murder. I do not intend to be wiped out by this Reeves woman! Clickbait of course but to be prepared for the worst is to not be knocked out if it happens and to be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,554 Online Community Programme Lead

I'm not a big fan of these sensationalist articles, as you say @Cantilip they are often done as clickbait.

Hopefully we will all get some proper answers soon as the speculation will end.

• Cantilip

My loftier self always says ignore but actually I'm still in two minds as to whether they should be ignored. It strikes me as somewhat like leaving weeds to grow! Anyhow, I amused myself by tweeting - Xing sounds so bizarre - Reeves by instructing her to refute the claims in the HoC.

• Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,994 Trailblazing

I would guess that most pensioners would be entitled to free prescriptions under a "medical exemption certificate" in any case ?

Unless you are saying that medical exemption certificate are stopped also ?

• Cantilip

What have I said now, dear spam filter! 'Your comment will appear after it is approved'. Had that two days ago in a word game too: arctic herrings are most suspicious.

• Cantilip

I should not be sure of that (see below). Specifically I should not be sure my own need for Prednisolone to replace cortisol in my polymyalgia rheumatica, generally considered a rheumatological autoimmune disease, could sneak in under hypoadrenalism, though the bottom line is it cannot be abruptly stopped. That would send me into possibly fatal adrenal crisis. My mum would have qualified only because she was housebound; none of her medical conditions are listed here.

You're entitled to a medical exemption certificate if you have either:

• a permanent fistula (for example, caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) which needs continuous surgical dressing or an appliance
    • a form of hypoadrenalism (for example, Addison’s Disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
    • diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism
    • diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
    • hypoparathyroidism
    • myasthenia gravis
    • myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism which needs thyroid hormone replacement)
    • epilepsy which needs continuous anticonvulsive therapy
    • a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without the help of another person
    • cancer and are undergoing treatment for either:
      • cancer
      • the effects of cancer
      • the effects of cancer treatmen

Medical exemption certificates | NHSBSA