ADHD advice please

apples
apples Community member Posts: 336 Empowering

hi

I just phoned my gp to be referred for an adhd assessment to be told they aren’t doing referrals due to there being a 3 year wait, I asked where I can go be referred as I need the referral for my own well-being just to be told that they have closed referrals for adhd

Can anyone tell me what / where I can go please

Thanks

Comments

• AKR
    AKR Community member Posts: 159 Empowering

You could look into a private clinic via research on the internet - there are plenty that accept self-referrals, and many providers will do the assessment remotely after you have completed various questionnaires. However, much depends on cost/affordability, I would imagine you would be looking at circa £1500-2000, possibly slightly more for an ADHD assessment/report. Additionally, even private clinics of this nature can have long waiting lists.

• apples
    apples Community member Posts: 336 Empowering

Thanks AKR

Unfortunately paying private is something I am unable to do

• Doris_Scope
    Doris_Scope Scope Family Services Posts: 135 Family Services
    edited August 22

Hi @apples

You could try Right to Choose. Even though some go through private clinics, they should be free. There are certain restrictions to this pathway but you could contact one of the providers for more information. ADHD 360 is one of the providers you could speak to.

Unfortunately pathways are so long presently for assessments, many are turning to this. This means that in turn, their assessments may take longer than usual. Hopefully it wouldn't be three years though.

I hope that this helps.

• DmRitchie
    DmRitchie Community member Posts: 38 Connected

As @Doris_Scope said look into Right to Choose. I was lucky in that my GP was very understanding and supportive, but I have spoken to others who were not (GP's didn't refer for ADHD, or didn't support Right to Choose). Don't give up it can be a long process. Make sure you download and complete Adult ADHD Self-Report Scale (ASRS-v1.1) to take with you when you go back to your GP as it's what GPs should be using for the referral