Exercise

Queen_K
Queen_K Community member Posts: 226 Empowering

Hi all

I am 30 years old, using a electric wheelchair. I am wanting to get slim again. I was wondering what exerercises I can do?☺️

Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,365 Championing

You could try these which incorporate gentle exercise when seated made by Canadian therapists:

• Queen_K
    Queen_K Community member Posts: 226 Empowering

How can I lose belly fat when always sitting in a electric wheelchair?

• zaddy123
    zaddy123 Community member Posts: 30 Contributor

Losing weight while using an electric wheelchair can be challenging, but it is certainly achievable with the right approach. Here are some strategies to help you:

### 1. **Diet and Nutrition**

- **Calorie Control**: Monitor your calorie intake to ensure you are consuming fewer calories than you burn. This can be done through portion control and mindful eating.

- **Balanced Diet**: Focus on a balanced diet rich in vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, and whole grains. Minimize processed foods, sugary drinks, and high-fat foods.

- **Small, Frequent Meals**: Eating smaller, more frequent meals can help regulate your blood sugar and control hunger.

- **Hydration**: Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Sometimes thirst is mistaken for hunger.

### 2. **Exercise and Physical Activity**

- **Seated Exercises**: There are many exercises you can do while seated in your wheelchair. These can include:

- **Resistance Band Exercises**: Use resistance bands to work your upper body muscles.

- **Wheelchair Pushes**: Even though you are in an electric wheelchair, you can use manual propulsion for short distances or during certain exercises to increase your physical activity.

- **Seated Cardio**: Chair aerobics, dancing, or seated boxing can get your heart rate up.

- **Weight Training**: Use light dumbbells or wrist weights to strengthen your arms and upper body.

- **Core Strengthening**: Exercises that engage your core muscles, such as seated leg lifts or side bends, can help improve your overall strength and stability.

### 3. **Daily Activity Adjustments**

- **Increase Daily Movement**: Try to incorporate more movement into your daily routine, such as transferring more often from the wheelchair to another seat, or engaging in more frequent activities that require reaching, bending, or stretching.

- **Use Technology**: Fitness trackers can help you monitor your daily activity levels and set goals for increasing movement.

### 4. **Consultation with Professionals**

- **Nutritionist**: A nutritionist can help you develop a personalized eating plan that suits your needs and goals.

- **Physical Therapist**: A physical therapist can guide you through safe and effective exercises tailored to your abilities and limitations.

- **Doctor**: Regular check-ups with your doctor can ensure that your weight loss plan is healthy and safe for your specific medical condition.

### 5. **Mental and Emotional Support**

- **Stay Motivated**: Set realistic goals and celebrate small victories along the way.

- **Seek Support**: Engage with online communities or local groups where you can share experiences and tips with others in similar situations.

### 6. **Mindful Eating and Behavior Change**

- **Mindful Eating**: Pay attention to your eating habits, and try to eat without distractions like TV or smartphones.

- **Behavioral Changes**: Work on changing habits that lead to overeating, such as emotional eating or eating out of boredom.

### 7. **Consider Professional Guidance**

- **Counseling**: If emotional eating or stress eating is a challenge, consider speaking with a counselor or therapist who specializes in weight management.

### 8. **Monitor Progress**

- **Regular Weigh-Ins**: Track your progress with regular weigh-ins, but don't become too focused on the scale. Non-scale victories like improved fitness or clothing fitting better are also important.

- **Body Measurements**: Measure different parts of your body to track changes in inches lost.

### 9. **Patience and Persistence**

- **Long-Term Focus**: Weight loss is a gradual process, and it’s important to stay patient and consistent with your efforts.

By combining these approaches and making gradual, sustainable changes, you can achieve your weight loss goals while using an electric wheelchair.

• Welli
    Welli Community member Posts: 9 Connected

Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

Not sure how many of you have been watching the Paralympic especially the Boccia matches, I definitely have😊. I am here to let you know that I am launching a new Boccia group which incidentally Boccia was originally played by only those living with Cerebral Palsy. Things have changed and now many other physical disabilities play the Paralympic sport and it doesn't matter if you are not a wheelchair user because you can sit on an ordinary chair and play.

As a Boccia player myself, I take part in many competitions around the country and last year took part in a non qualifying competition in Poland, where I came 4th. I also took part in the UK Regionals and this year the National League placing myself 1st and 7th respectively within my classification of BC6.

Bolton Boccia club opens this Friday 6th September from 14.30-15.30 for anyone over 18+ living with a physical disability. We will be using Horwich Leisure Centre BL6 5PY which is in Bolton. At the moment the accessible parking at the venue is not available however, there is parking in the new carpark opposite that houses the new medical centre. This is a temporary measure. Boccia is a sport one can just play leisurely or for those like me who are a little competitive, you can do that too:). The first sessions are free and from then £5.00. Bolton Boccia will be affiliated to the national Boccia body; Boccia England.

I am a qualified Coach and Referee, also holding a Safeguard certificate and DBS checked.

If you are done with just watching and would like to participate, come and join us, it's a great sport where you can meet people and have fun. We would love to meet you.

Carla

• SaraC_Scope
    SaraC_Scope CP Network, Scope Posts: 86 Empowering

Hi.

I have CP and wanted to improve my fitness levels. I struggle with some forms of exercise because of my mobility. During Covid I found a great fitness coach on YouTube. She does seated workouts between seven and ten minutes in length, which suits me. Her name is Holly Dolke and it's been really beneficial.

Sara