How do you identify

older01
older01 Community member Posts: 67 Contributor

Throughout large anonymous organisations we get asked this question a lot.

I find it intrusive personally. Skin colour, gender, religion, age and sexual orientation. Sometimes I feel like saying why? I understand that it’s supposed to show the demographics of today, but it doesn’t ask if you have a disability. So do you think that it would be useful if they asked about disability, hidden or visible?

How do you identify 1 vote

Would you answer if they asked about disability?
100%
Bluebell21 1 vote
Do you think that society isn’t aware of the number of disabled people?
0%
Do you think that it would be helpful for change?
0%
Do you think these questions exclude disabled people?
0%

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,782 Online Community Coordinator

It's interesting to think about @older01, I don't really like giving these things away as I'm quite private, but I can understand why some companies do ask. I have to say that in my experience these kinds of forms often did ask whether I have a disability as part of the demographic questions. Usually something like: "Do you consider yourself to have a disability" and sometimes a selection of "learning disability, physical disability etc.", but not always.

The fact that it's missed off by some seems to speak volumes about how those companies view disability, or don't even consider it worth logging as a demographic, so I do judge them a bit if they don't ask!

I think sometimes it comes down to the fact that lots of people forget that disability is a thing until they have an experience of it. Either for themselves or through a friend or family member. Which isn't an excuse, but just goes to show how much further some places and individuals have to go with their learning.

I think it would be helpful for more people to be aware about disabilities and disabled people in general. I think it's happening slowly with more representation in TV, film and media, but there's till a way to go.

• older01
    older01 Community member Posts: 67 Contributor

@Rosie_Scope I am happily surprised that you have come across such a question on a general poll. I was thinking about these large faceless organisations like the Government that ask such questions rather than something like the doctors or hospitals that ask. I think it would be very useful for them to know the communities that they serve. Perhaps they might consider making all buildings accessible by law etc if they asked the right questions sometimes. I think the BBC has always tried to be mindful of representation in recent years, I would agree. Sometimes the Government are forced to pay attention to public opinion through the power of the media, which is usually a good thing.