Ruptured Archilles tendon

KJ2024
KJ2024 Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Hello, 4 months ago, I fell over in my garden and landed on my hip, the left side that I have osteoarthritis. Luckily the grass was soft and wet, it didn't affect my hip. My right ankle felt like I had sprained it. It hurt but also felt very stiff. I never bothered going to my GP which I now regret because I left it too long. I had an ultra sound, an Mri and saw the foot doctor last week and he said I had ruptured my archilles Tendon with a gap of 10cm. The doctor was talking into his voice recorder and mentioned a Tendon transfer but I think he was thinking what I already knew, I might be wrong but tendons are supposed to be repaired asap. I think I have left it too long to repair as a lot of scar tissue had formed at the back of my ankle and the doctor doesn't seem in a hurry. He told me to discard the medical boot and see how I manage to get a round without it and see him in a month. My heel feels detached from my foot, it sometimes hurts but also feels a weird like numbness if that makes sense. Stairs are a nightmare, It's hard to walk, especially on uneven surfaces. If I put pressure on my foot, it feels like a bone is coming through my heel, there isn't, it just feels like that. Has anyone else ruptured their Archilles and left it too long?

Comments

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @KJ2024. So sorry to hear about your achilles, it sounds very painful. I haven't had this issue myself so I don't know much about it. Has the doctor told you what the plan is for treatment?

• JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 585 Pioneering

Hi @KJ2024

Ouch, painful! Yes, I did mine a good few years back, went to A&E, given a temporary pot & the plan was to operate 2 days later. Unfortunately, I came down with flu & was wiped out for 3 weeks in bed, at least I wasn't moving around on it! 😆 Anyway, I had been told to call when better & that was 4 weeks later, then told it was too late to be operated on. Just as well I was/am already on crutches!

It eventually 'sorted' itself out, there are a couple of lumps & a bigger bump, it still aches sometimes & tweaks, other than that, it's okay. There again, I'm not that mobile anyway. I would still see the doc, explain what's going on & see what he thinks, it could be he'll send you for physio if it's affecting your mobility. Good luck with it!

• KJ2024
    KJ2024 Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Thank you for your replies Rachel & Jessie. The hospital foot doctor mentioned a Tendon transfer and also said go home, discard the boot and see how your mobility is and come back in a month. I have left this too long and he knows this. I have been hobbling around since April when this happened. I just thought I sprained my ankle. Three weeks ago after a scan, the hospital put me in a wedged boot. Three weeks of that was a waste of time, it did nothing as the tendon was already ruptured. My ankle is quite stiff and so are my toes. Stairs are a nightmare and I have to wear a slip-on trainer because I hate the feel of my bare boot on the floor and it's the only thing that's slightly more comfortable. I am so slow at getting around. I wonder if I will ever be allowed to drive again, I got an automatic.

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

I'm glad the trainer gives you some relief, even if it's not much. Is the pain expected to ease over time? Will they try you on different pain relief? I hope you're able to drive again.