Recent changes to the State Pension.

older01
older01 Community member Posts: 67 Contributor
edited August 31 in Money and bills

After the change of Government recently, I was curious about how much individuals would be entitled to. It is encouraging that the State Pension has increased for most people - subject to NI contributions. I was curious about my future entitlement based on today’s forecast. I contacted the Department of Pensions, but before I did, I noticed that because I was widowed in 2021, I may be eligible to part of my late husband’s state pension when I reach retirement age.

I wasn’t aware of that until I actually took the time to look at today’s figures. I don’t know if anyone else is in a similar position, but are equally unaware that they might be eligible to claim a portion of their late spouse’s state pension? The Department official was very knowledgeable and helpful, and I was sent a very long letter afterwards. I am encouraged that although things could change, I will qualify for a further £44 per week as a widow on top of my state pension.
With all the publicity surrounding the state pension benefits, I just wanted to make others aware of this who may be in a similar position and may not know about the top up available to widows who’s spouse was entitled to the state pension from before 01/04/2016.

Tagged:

Comments

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @older01. Thanks for letting us know that. I'm sure there are many people who weren't aware 😊

• older01
    older01 Community member Posts: 67 Contributor

@Rachel_Scope it’s always a pleasure to help other people who are thinking about their future. 😊