LCWWRA and PIP and Working under 16 hours

dedney
dedney Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2 in Benefits and income

Hi,

Im in recept of LCWRA and PIP (not the mobility part) after falling ill and having multiple operations over a three year period.

Ive been thinking of working under 16 hours a week in a local restaurant kitchen.

Am i able to do this without it affecting my payments?

I was reading about permitted work lower and higher limit but i cant make sense of it.

Thank you

Jonathon

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,056 Championing

LCWRA refers to Universal Credit so if it's this you're claiming then permitted work rules do not apply. For UC you have what's called the work allowance, which means you can receive a certain amount of earnings each month before any deductions apply.

If you claim for help with the rent your work allowance will be £404/month, if you don't it will be £673/month. For every £1 of earnings received over those amounts your UC will be reduced by 55p. There's no maximum amount of hours you can work.

You must report a change of circumstances and tell them you're working, if you do start. Please do be aware though that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you were found to have LCWRA then it could go against you at your next review.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Work-allowance-Universal-Credit

Alternatively, if it's ESA you're claiming then yes permitted work rules apply and it must be less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £183.50/week.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet

PIP isn't affected by earnings. However, same applies to this, if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP it could go against you at your next review.

• dedney
    dedney Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Thank you for the clarity, I appreciate you getting back to me :)

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,855 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @dedney, looks like Poppy's already given some great advice to answer your questions, but I just wanted to pop in quickly to say hello and welcome you to the community. If you have any more questions please don't be afraid to ask 😊

I hope it goes well if you do decide to start working!