Advice for a new UC claim and Capability for Work

celestialkae
celestialkae Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hello! Last year I started a Universal Credit claim that I very quickly cancelled because the lady I spoke to told me I would have to look for retail jobs (that I would not be able to manage at all) - my anxiety was so extreme I simply retracted my claim because I was terrified I'd have to speak to tons of different people.

A year forward to now, I'm applying for UC again, and hoping to stand up for myself this time if I'm made uncomfortable. I'm currently on the standard payment of PIP, and have done several self-assessment forms to see where I'd stand for Capability to Work.

So far, the results have pretty consistently been Limited Capability for Work-Related Activity - but that's when I fill in the questionnaire myself. I've already had a bad experience with my PIP assessor docking me points where I should've been granted them, so I'm quite worried my work capability assessment will go the same.

I was wondering if there's anything I can do ahead of time that will help build my case for this? I'm planning on calling my GP for a fit note, but I'm nervous that since my illnesses are all mental they'll think I'm far healthier than I actually am.

Thanks in advance for any advice!! 😀

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,858 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @celestialkae, welcome to the community.

If you haven't filled in the Work Capability form yet, just answer to the best of your abilities and make sure you're adding lots of detail and examples of how your conditions affect you.

The assessments can be quite varied so it's difficult to prepare fully, but you could always make a few notes about your conditions and how they affect you. That way, if you're asked a question you've got something to reference to give a nice detailed answer.

Although it was a while back, my experience of the Work Capability Assessment process was that the assessor was fair and I received the result that I was hoping for and expecting. So it might be a little luck of the draw with each assessor, but it's not always a negative result. I understand the feeling of needing to be prepared for all eventualities though, it's all a bit daunting!

I hope some of our members who've had their WCAs recently will be able to share their advice too 😊

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,087 Championing

Please don't rely on those self assessment tests because they are far from reliable, it's not something I would advise anyone to do, especially if you don't understand the descriptors for LCWRA.

When you do claim UC you will need to make sure you report your health condition and provide a fit note within 7 days. If you don't provide the fit note then you won't be referred for the work capability assessment. You must continue to provide them without any gaps until a decision is made on the work capability assessment, which could take several months.

When you claim UC you will be expected to attend your first appointment with a work coach. If you're unable to do this then you can request a telephone appointment as a reasonable adjustment.

When claiming UC you are treated as a job seeker until a decision is made on the WCA. Your work coach will have discretion to either turn off or reduce comments, some do and others don't.

For the WCA you need to have a look at the descriptors to see which one you think may apply to you. Only one needs to apply, which you can see here.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity

When filling out the form you should include as much relevant information as possible. Also include a couple of real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies to you. Adding detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.

Make sure you include any additional supporting evidence you have with the form because they rarely contact anyone for any evidence.

You can see the UC50 form here.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65d4dc5c2197b200117fa703/uc50-interactive.pdf

Please do not return that form until you receive the form in the post. If you do then it will be ignored.