PIP reform..

reedy1604
reedy1604 Community member Posts: 15 Connected

I'm again worrying about the PIP reform after reading an article on Wales Online this morning.

I receive enhanced daily rate and enhanced mobility rate, I use my full mobility rate for a car on the motability scheme.

I know there's been no mention of them scrapping the motability scheme.. but if they do replace payments with vouchers for example, it shows the vouchers or scheme would be for aids, equipment etc.. part of my PIP is for severe bipolar disorder, so my daily payment goes towards paying household bills each month.

If they scrap the payments and make it a voucher system then I wouldn't be able to pay my bills 😔

Tagged:

Comments

• Ironside1990
    Ironside1990 Community member Posts: 120 Empowering

There's nothing we can do @reedy1604 except email your MP.

There'll be too much at stake if cash payments were stopped. Increase in Suicides, loss of financial independence. Plus every claimant's situation is unique and vouchers would be one size fits all. None of the proposed changes would work, but we'll have to wait and see what Rachel Reeves says in the Autumn budget

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,000 Online Community Coordinator

Hey there @reedy1604 please try not to worry too much. As Poppy has said, a lot of these online 'news' places are just pumping out clickbait to get people worried, as that's how they make their money. The government haven't even finished reading the green paper yet.

I'd suggest taking anything you read online (Unless from official news outlets) with a huge pinch of salt.

• Darrenfh
    Darrenfh Community member Posts: 6 Listener

Like everyone who receives pip I am very worried, after chatting/messaging people who have had to more or less fight for what they are getting now, and for many of us it has been a life line if you do get anything,and then be told "we may introduce vouchers instead of payments" with hardly any other government or official information it's going to worry everyone, you would think now we have a Labour government they might just look after you a bit more? but I have only heard Labour say "we will look at it" . I think you only need look at what has been done with winter fuel payments to see where they are going. I have emailed my local MP on this but so far had no response.

• AKR
    AKR Community member Posts: 159 Empowering

Labour were always going to look at all aspects of the economy - that is what any government of a different "colour" will do, especially after their opposition has been in power for such a long stretch.

It's fairly rationale to consider the responses to the consultation launched by the previous government - that doesn't equate to them agreeing with any/all of the proposals. Similarly, the decision on the WFP can't be extrapolated to form a conclusion benefits will be detrimentally affected.

Maybe there will be changes, if so, maybe those changes will be generally positive for the disabled community.

For example, plenty of costs can be saved by a) streamlining processes; and b) reducing the number of (ultimately successful) tribunal claims arising out of clearly erroneous/misconceived initial decisions, and review decisions, by sorting out the (commonly experienced) inept, uneducated, and adversarial approach of assessors encountered by disabled people at the assessment/review stages.

There are only two certainties at the moment:

1. We don't know what is going to happen (if anything); and

2. The owners of the media organisations which regurgitate online content via all the multiple "outlets" under the umbrella of their holding companies, are making a fortune from advertising revenue as a result of clicks from vulnerable people who (understandably) can't help being sucked into their scaremongering tactics.

• lizptsd
    lizptsd Community member Posts: 86 Empowering

Hi now the big issue are at it about a white paper about getting the long term sick and mentally ill back to work. It's a very distressing time without them publishing things that only cause anxiety.

I'm sorry but we all have enough to deal with every day without all this.

I'm having to complain about a GP who despite my having an injured knee with multiple bursas said what I was pointing at was a pad of fat!

These articles need to give it a rest. No one has a clue what's going on and as I've said many times where are all these jobs.

• cheles99
    cheles99 Community member Posts: 6 Connected

well said all its a waiting game