Carers allowance

1Newbridge
1Newbridge Community member Posts: 19 Contributor
edited September 7 in Benefits and income

Hi.

I hope someone can answer my question?

We have migrated from IS to UC had our first payment, I sent in a 3 month sick note & completed a UC50.
I am on enhanced both elements of Pip ongoing my partner claims carers allowance.

My partner has been awarded enhanced care Pip for severe mental health issues. He takes care of my many physical issues, cooks cleans ect.

I take care of his mental health concerns, just talking and prompting & reassurance he is safe.

It has been suggested I can claim carers allowance also is that correct? How would it affect UC? Can I end UC50 process?

Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing

There's no financial gain to claiming carers allowance at the same time as UC because it's just deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

I see from a previous thread that when you were claiming IS there was a single SDP included in that claim. Claiming carers element of UC in your first assessment period will affect any TP you maybe entitled to.

Have you received your first UC payment yet?

With regards to the work capability assessment, as you've been referred for this and returned the UC50 form I don't think you can cancel that now.