Fibromyalgia maybe misdiagnosed

ricky1040
ricky1040 Community member Posts: 158 Empowering

Hey all. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 8 years ago. I have widespread pain. Arms fingers back legs etc. I also had sleep disturbance and fatigue. However. Recently after a fall my pain levels have gone up massively.

I went to hospital and they now believe I have a spinal injury. Which was worsened by a fall I had recently. And they believe this has been my problem all along.

I just can't quite believe it's taken 8 years of suffering to get to this point. Has anyone else had a similar experience.

Tagged:

Comments

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @ricky1040. I'm so sorry it's taken this long to get a proper diagnosis. Do they think it has always been a spinal injury? I have fibromyalgia and it took me 6 years to be diagnosed. I can understand your frustration!

• ricky1040

They suspect it has been this all along. But need an MRI to confirm

• Rachel_Scope

Do you have a date for the MRI? I hope they can find out the root cause and then they can begin giving you the right treatment.

• ricky1040

Im having the MRI on Monday. Also they are reconfiguring my pain medication. So I am hoping that finally things are being taken seriously as I was at the end of my ability to fight any longer. But I hopefully see light at end of the tunnel.

• Rachel_Scope

It sounds like they are listening to you now and making changes. Will you let us know how you get on?

• ricky1040

I have been changed to morphine patches. And for the short term till that kicks in I'm taking gabapentin and diazapan and naproxen and paracetamol. I was on codeine but had to stop that as it is a bad interaction with morphine.

The ortho doctors said GPS should never have left me on cocodamol so long as we all know it's habit forming and second it's a quick fix not long lasting pain relief. So I'd get maybe am hour or two of some relief and then crash and be in agony.

The morphine should be more stable pain relief and obviously stronger.

I have my MRI Monday and then we will go from there re surgical or other treatment.