The Nhs. what is going on.

ricky1040
ricky1040 Community member Posts: 158 Empowering

Having been in a and e yesterday. I was quite shocked at how bad things have gotten. They seemed to be under extreme pressure. V understaffed. Especially with doctors. Also I saw a very mixed bag of amazing competent staff and one who clearly hate the job and can't be assed to try anymore. It's crazy. I just didn't realise just how bad untill yesterday.

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,961 Online Community Coordinator

I'm so sorry to hear you ended up in A&E yesterday @ricky1040 I hope you're doing ok now?
    Yes unfortunately visits to hospitals have certainly changed in the last couple of years, but it sounds like the new government are wanting to get things back on track.

• ricky1040

No not really good. They believe IV a spinal injury. So I am home but on a lot of pain rife.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,961 Online Community Coordinator

Oh no @ricky1040 that doesn't sound good at all! I hope they've given you some pain relief for now? Sending all the healing vibes your way.

• ricky1040

They have indeed. Diazapan gabapemtin cocodamol and naproxen. Still extremely sore but it's dulling it abit

• Bluebell21
    Bluebell21 Community member Posts: 848 Empowering
    edited September 9

Hi @ricky1040 I am sorry you had a bad experience in A&E. The NHS is on its knees and will need a lot of sorting out. I am sorry you are still in pain, hopefully the pain killers will help. Take care of yourself.

• ricky1040

I did also have good experiences. One nurse was absolitley lovely. and the doctor was kind too.

• ricky1040

Just the specific nurse looking after me said she was not good at canulas and kept trying and stabbing me. Then said she gives up and left me without meds for 5 hours. Then had the cheek to say I don't seem to be in that bad of pain now.

• ricky1040

However another her nurse seen how bad I was and asked me if I was ok. And sortee it immediately.

• ricky1040

Im very sympathetic re the shirt staffed and how difficult the job is but it was awful

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 831 Championing

So sorry you are in so much pain and had to visit A&E yesterday. Things with the NHS are at breaking point at the moment. I would recommend watching the latest channel 4 dispatchers on the NHS which is on youtube to anyone who wants to know how bad things have got.

(I am going to link the youtube vid, if not allowed please remove - Admins)

• kc1978
    kc1978 Community member Posts: 78 Empowering

Having previously worked as a nurse for 23 years, worked in the NHS, private sector abroad and social care, the NHS was always going to become unable to deal with increasing referrals, attendance increases and this was pre COVID. COVID has left hospitals battling back logs and waiting lists, hospital beds are full, discharges can't happen as care packages/equipment/funding not in place, and you have a workforce who have faced challenges and a national tragedy many including myself were not prepared for and never imagined facing. Many have left unable to move on.

Unless the NHS gets rid of the suits/clipboard carrying senior managers / managers who manage the managers manager and remove layers of red tape, and streamline funding, and care things are only going to worsen.

The entire health and social care system is circling the drain, and what they don't need is more and more funding. They need robust and proper managers, a nationally agreed funding/contract that ensures hospitals are paid for the services they deliver, and that doctors and nurses are allowed to care for people without the distractions, and ridiculous amounts of paperwork and pressures they face.

They are miserable as they feel miserable COVID ended for many, now they face the post COVID crisis, while we realise the billions of pounds which were handed to companies and where no services or products were ever delivered or supplies wasted.

And that's just my light-hearted thoughts on this Lol

• MissMel
    MissMel Community member Posts: 32 Connected

@kc1978 Well said. Managers in publicly funded institutions are usually only good at managing how much money they can get for themselves, hence the needs to make cuts to accommodate their ever increasing salaries. There are too many people at the top of publicly funded institutions who are from business backgrounds, earning excessive salaries, who do not understand how the publicly funded institutions they deal with operate. This is particular true in Social Housing, Education, Social Services of course the NHS.