Pins and needles

sezlez
sezlez Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Hi everyone

I suffer with Peripheral Neuropathy and have found in the last 2 years or so that I start to get pins and needles in my right foot as soon as I go to bed. I've been on Pregabalin and I am now on Gabapentin taking 600mg last thing at night without any relief. Has anyone got any suggestions that may help with my problem? Thanks.

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,313 Championing

@sezlez one of my sisters has neuropathy and althought it's the last thing in the world she wants to do, the more she keeps mobile the better she says her pain is at night ❤️

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,818 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @sezlez, sorry to hear you're struggling. This isn't something I live with but I just wanted to pop in to say hello and welcome you to the community. We've got lots of members so hopefully some of them will have experienced similar symptoms and will be able to share if anything's helped them.

I hope you're able to find some relief from your tingling soon!

• JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 590 Pioneering

Hi @sezlez

I have peripheral neuropathy, it's not great but I've found on 2400mg of Gabapentin over the course of the day has eased it no end. I'm prescribed 2700mg but have chosen to keep some in hand. Every now & again I still get some nasty sparks & spikes in my feet but they're manageable compared to how I was. I also have it in my hands/arms, that is more pins & needles, not the spiking pain, that has calmed some too. I haven't tried Pregabalin, although, I take 100mg of Amitriptyline at night too. With what you're on, give it some time & if you don't get any relief, ask if the Gaba can be upped a little, another 100mg maybe & go from there. It's all a bit trial & error really, but hopefully you will get to the more manageable stage.

• sezlez

Hi @JessieJ

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know that you were able to take such a high dose of Gabapentin. I don't get many pain attacks it's mainly pins and needles which can keep me awake most of the night. I'll try increasing it gradually. Thanks once again.

• JessieJ

You're welcome, @sezlez

Was surprised when my GP put me on Gabapentin & said what the max was. That was from a gradual increase until I got to the right dose for me. I hope you find the right dose & get the relief you need.

• sezlez

Thanks @JessieJ Is your 2400mg of Gabapentin spread evenly over the course of the day?

• JessieJ

No probs, @sezlez.

Yes, increased gradually then evenly spaced (depending on my memory!!), so I've chosen to take them four times a day for now.

• sezlez

Thank you @JessieJ 😊

• JessieJ

You're welcome, @sezlez, I hope you find the sweet spot with them. 🤞