Assurance Needed on Future Welfare Reforms

MW123
MW123 Scope Member Posts: 710 Championing

I was deeply disappointed to find out that my MP was among those who voted to cut the winter fuel allowance for pensioners. I have reached out to her via email to express my concerns. I urge others to also contact their MPs if they voted for this cut, to share their dissatisfaction and to raise concerns about potential future proposals affecting PIP. Below is a copy of the letter I sent.

Dear MP's Name
I am writing to express my profound disappointment with your recent vote to support the government's decision to remove the winter fuel allowance for pensioners.
As the first-ever Labour MP for our town, which has traditionally been represented by Conservatives, I had high expectations that your representation would prioritise the needs of our residents. The decision to cut this crucial allowance is deeply troubling, particularly when compared to the £4,400 in energy support claimed by MPs like Rachel Reeves. It is even more disheartening to see that, despite over 50 Labour MPs opposing this cut, you chose to support it.

Moreover, the absence of an impact statement before this vote is unacceptable. How can you assure me and other residents of our town that future changes to PIP and welfare reforms will not similarly harm individuals with disabilities, who are among the most disadvantaged?

Our town needs a clear commitment from you to safeguard the welfare of all residents, especially those already facing significant challenges. It is essential that you advocate for policies that genuinely support and protect the most at-risk members of our society, rather than worsening their difficulties.

While it may not be possible to guarantee the outcome of every proposal, it is crucial that you avoid supporting measures that adversely affect those already struggling. Your primary duty is to represent and protect your constituents, not to endorse policies that could lead to further hardship. We voted for meaningful change, not for policies that exacerbate the struggles of the poorest and most vulnerable.

I look forward to your response and a detailed explanation of how you plan to address and prevent similar detrimental impacts in the future, particularly concerning proposed benefit changes that could affect the long term sick and those with disabilities, who are the most susceptible to government decisions.
Yours sincerely
My name and address

Comments