Moving from one Borough to another on UC.

hafkhan
hafkhan Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Hello,

My family of four, including my disabled husband who receives PIP, and our two young children (ages 5 and 3), is currently receiving UC. Our landlord has informed us that we must vacate our current residence by November 30th.

In our search for a new place, we have identified a suitable house in a different borough. The landlord is willing to rent to us despite our status as benefit recipients.

I would like to inquire about the level of complexity associated with changing boroughs while maintaining our UC and PIP claims.

Any guidance or suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Comments

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 543 Empowering

All you need to do is update UC online with your new address & rent amount - on the day you move as UC doesn't accept future dated changes- and give PIP a call with your new address once moved.

• hafkhan

Does that mean we will continue receiving our UC? without any gap?

II'm worried because currently UC is only way we can pay our rent.

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 543 Empowering

Private renting and UC is not something I have any experience of, so someone else is better placed to advise you on that aspect.

This link might help

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/how_a_change_of_circumstances_affects_universal_credit#:~:text=You%20should%20report%20a%20rent,more%20than%20this%20in%20rent.

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,330 Championing

Yep your UC will just continue. It may take UC a while to verify your new rent so best to report not too close to the end of your assessment period @hafkhan, but it isn't locally done like housing benefit was, so there'll be no problems when you move, just report the change of address on the day you move.

One thing is if the rents are different to your current home, know that your UC award is based on where you are living on the last day of your assessment period. So whichever home you are living at on your last day of your assessment period will be the rent amount they use to calculate your award, because they don't do part-payments ❤️

• hafkhan

This was very helpful.

Do you know how long it takes them to verify?

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,330 Championing

It depends on your case manager and their work load sadly @hafkhan, so it would only be a guess. If you provide all the stuff they ask for (tenancy agreement usually) it can be much faster.

If they don't verify it by the end of your assessment period, once it gets to your pay day you can ask for it to be 'escalated' and they will have to prioritise it and will pay you what they owe. So you'll get the money eventually, but be prepared in case it is a couple of weeks after you normally do (the housing element only, the rest of the claim should be paid as normal)