Transactional protection from Working Tax Credits to Universal Credit

Floof
Floof Community member Posts: 20 Connected
edited September 18 in Universal Credit (UC)

hello

At some stage we are going to have to migrate from WTC to UC and I have a question regarding the transactional protection. I have searched everywhere and cannot find the answer.

We receive £55 a week tax credits (plus I have just been awarded PIP so this will increase once I receive the PIP letter and inform them), When we have to claim UC we will not receive anything - ie nil. In this case will we still receive the transitional protection or will that be dismissed as we will not be entitled to any UC.

This is quite a worry and would be so grateful for your help.

Many thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,330 Championing

@Floof You'll still get the transitional protection so make sure when you get the letter to claim, you do it before the end date! Hopefully your increase because of PIP will come in first so your transitinal protection is even higher ❤️

• Needhelpandadvice
    Needhelpandadvice Posts: 78 Empowering

@Floof I do not know much if anything about UC, but your question is a bit confusing.

You are on working tax credit at £55 a week, you have just been awarded PIP, which is a separate benefit, however a quick artificial intelligence search says that you might qualify for LCW or LCWRA.

WTC will be abolished from what I understand, and you are saying that you will receive zero UC, I am assuming that you are working.

You are not talking about any rent that you might have to pay, if any at all.

So you might qualify for new style ESA and PIP and not have to worry about UC at all.

The housing element from what I understand is separate alongside council tax. I know that if you are an existing housing benefit claimant, you can still claim unless circumstances change.

However, UC encompasses that.

I honestly would contact Shelter or the CAB, as you might not have to apply for UC if you are saying that you will be awarded zero pounds in payments from them anyway.

Once you go onto UC they own and control you, so really unless you 100% have to, I would never sign onto UC.

So make 100% that you do need to sign up for it, and seek proper advice. However, it does not help when you or other people do not put full information about their circumstances and people have to second guess about their situation.

Age helps

Rent or own helps

Working or not working helps

So many things that people leave out of their comments.

• Floof

Thank you so much @Biblioklept - that is such a relief!

Thank you also @Needhelpandadvice - that was kind of you to give so much advice. That is interesting about new style ESA. I have checked my NI record and it shows I have no class 2 or 3 NI contributions in the last 2 years.

However, I have found out that if you are claiming Working Tax Credit you should get class 3 NI applied - and we have been on WTC for the last few years.

However, I see it is a similar amount to what we would receive in the transition to UC, so it might be best to do that for a year, and then when it stops apply for new style ESA. I am not far from getting my pension (and my husband has his already - hence no award in UC). We are both self-employed too.

Thank you both for your help

• Floof

Have subsequently found out that class 3 NI do not count for benefits….

• Needhelpandadvice
    Needhelpandadvice Posts: 78 Empowering

@Floof if you are close from getting your pension.

Do not bother with UC, I cannot see what you would get managed migration onto UC for anyway?

You were only claiming tax credits, so you have no migration protection on that.

If your universal credit because of your husband is zero.

Why put yourself through having to deal with the DWP?

Live off your self employed wages, live off your husbands pension, and live off the PIP.

If you only have six months a year before your pension age, I honestly would not recommend signing onto UC, however that is my personal point of view.

I am thirteen years away, and if I was one year away and could manage, I honestly would not even entertain UC.

A person that I know, she is one year away from retirement, I am advising her the same, if she has the money don't deal with the DWP just wait to the pension hits.

You could possibly look at pension credit, see if you are eligible for that.

However, seek advice from the CAB or similar, but honestly, you really do not want the hassle just for a year.

• Biblioklept

I really think that post is very very very bad advice @Needhelpandadvice. Just because you're scared of UC doesn't mean people shouldn't claim what they are entitled to!!

Tax credits is being migrated across, UC replaces both working tax and child tax credits.

You're advising them into of over £200 a month because you don't like UC, that's crazy. And it'll be even more once they get the disabled addition.

@Floof please do what's best for you, don't let fear mongering put you off!! Definitely look into UC more as because you're self employed, it's important to understand what commitments UC might have you do ❤️

You might actually reach pension age before you get a migration notice at all, in which case none of this will matter anyway!

• Biblioklept

Oh and "You were only claiming tax credits, so you have no migration protection on that." this isn't true @Needhelpandadvice

• Floof

Thank you both. Yes @Biblioklept definitely worth migrating - I am 20 months away from pension and a year of 'transition' would make such a difference to us.

Many thanks

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,084 Championing

@Needhelpandadvice please be very careful about the advice that you're giving. Many people here rely heavily on forums such as this for benefits advice because they have no where else to go. A lot of the advice you've given here is incorrect. Please make sure the advice you've given is correct and more importantly, if you don't know the answer please don't give advice.