ESA & council tax

burnt
burnt Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hi, I currently receive contribution based ESA in the support group and UC and so also receive council tax support. If I were to start taking my pension of £500/month would I have to pay the full council tax amount? (obv I would loose the UC).

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,306 Championing

I don’t know the answer to that because all local Authorities have their own rules for CTR.

However, you won’t only lose some or even all of your UC you will also lose a small amount of your ESA as well. Pensions of up to £85/week are ignored for New style ESA and for every £1/week over that amount your ESA would reduce by 50p/week.

You would also lose automatic entitlement to NHS treatment. If there’s no entitlement to UC.

I would have to ask is it worth taking that monthly pension draw down?

Can you take a lump sum instead? Capital of up to £6,000 is ignored for means tested benefits.

• burnt
    burnt Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Thank you Poppy. Do you know if I have to take the pension or am I allowed to not use it until I'm 67?

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,306 Championing

You do not need to access your pension until you reach state pension age, unless the rules with your pension are different.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,395 Online Community Coordinator

Heya @burnt I can see Poppy has already answered your queries, but I just wanted to stop in and give you a quick welcome to the community. 😊