ESA ending in February

Lil197027
Lil197027 Community member Posts: 13 Listener

hi, I recently received a letter telling me my ESA income related will end in Feb’25. I was aware that this benefit would stop after 365 days. I have also received confirmation that I am entitled to full PIP (surprisingly there was no assessment carried out!). I am claiming LCWRA, ESA, and UC. I have been claiming the basic amount of ESA I spoke to ESA department yesterday and I told them about the PIP award (because I thought I needed to report changes) and I asked if I will be backdated in regards to my disability acknowledgment with PIP. Meaning either enhanced or severe disability ? The lady was very uninterested, she said no, but didn’t volunteer any other information as to why no and I kinda floundered and didn’t ask the follow on questions. She was polite, not rude. Just not very forthcoming. I don’t want wait on hold for another 2hrs to ask ‘Why!’ I’m hoping someone can explain…. My husband is my full time carer, I am physically disabled and I cannot walk. Being on any benefits is a huge burden because I worked all my adult life and first started claiming in January this year. I’m out of depth and comfort zone because I feel like I’m taking the p***.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,306 Championing
    edited October 11

There seems to be some confusion with your ESA. As you’re also claiming UC then your ESA will not be Income Related. It will be New style ESA.

New style ESA is time limited to 1 year unless placed into the Support Group (LCWRA) as you are in this group the ESA will not end. It will continue for as long as you remain entitled to it.

Your ESA should also increase from week 14 of your claim. When was the decision made on your work capability assessment?

For the disability Premiums, these are only payable when claiming the old Income Related benefits and as your ESA is New style and you’re also claiming UC there’s no disability premiums payable on either of those.

As you’re also claiming UC with your husband he can claim carers element of UC for looking after you, if he doesn’t already.

Edit to add, I see I already gave you some advice at the start of last month. Your husband already claims carers allowance and carers element of UC for looking after you.

Your ESA should have increased to £138.20/week, unless there’s a deduction for a pension of more than £85/week. Although your overall benefits entitlement will remain the same. See previous thread here.

• Lil197027

yes you gave me very sound advice and yes Dal is caring for me full time and getting allowance for that. I got a back payment for the charges for bedroom tax!! I never did get assessed for ESA I recall a very vague phone call, which happened not long after I came out of hospital. I may or may not of received information about ESA. If I did I can’t find it!! I do receive a company pension which is deducted in its entirety from our UC and also from my ESA which is 90.50 pw, but I’m receiving 74.75pw due to the pension. I guess until Feb 25 this will remain the same. The letter the ESA sent me last week said they may owe me money so I called them to tell about the new pip award change and to ask about ESA letter!!!
    Maybe I’m over thinking but I can’t afford to get anything wrong benefits wise, if I’m getting too much I don’t want the overpayment deduction because I’m currently paying back an overpayment that happened through UC mistake. Thanks Poppy xxx

• poppy123456

You're welcome. Your ESA amount is not correct because you should be receiving the Support Group amount, minus the small deduction for your pension. Although there wouldn't be any financial gain anyway because it's just deducted In full from UC.

The ESA will not end in February, it will continue for as long as you remain in the Support Group, which is the same as LCWRA.

Can you please tell me how much they are deducting for your ESA from UC?

• Lil197027

A deduction of £316.20 a month for the ESA according to my statement in the UC

• poppy123456

Thanks, that deduction is correct. Once it increases the deduction will also increase so no overall financial increase to benefits entitlement. ESA increases but UC decreases.

• Lil197027

lol……… thanks so much Poppy, in one hand out the other. Story of all our lives Eh? X

you are a star 🌟