From DLA to PIP

CorbsDad51
CorbsDad51 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 21 in Families and carers

Hi Everyone

My son has Diaplegia Cerebral Palsy he needs the daily use of AFO's/splints on his lower legs to be as mobile as it is possible ,the health professional are concerned however going forward that his needs will get greater

He turned 16 three weeks ago & I had a letter asking him to apply for PIP which we duly done last Weds over the telephone with his consent that I conduct the telephone conversation ,we were asked a number of questions & despite the recorded message saying call would take 15 mins ,the duration totaled 43 mins

Now I normally receive Carers Allowance for him every Monday but it is shown on my online bank statement on a Saturday so I know the in-going amount ,I only work part time(paid monthly) so I don't exceed the CA fresh hold on amount allowed to earn ,however this weekend I noticed I hadn't received any payment (I get it weekly) so I rang them first thing this morning and they have informed me the CA has been paused but wouldn't give me a legitimate reason for this ,they said they would investigate it and let me know in due course which doesn't help our financial situation

I've looked online at the possible reason and direct from the dot Gov website it says it would only be stopped if DLA or PIP was stopped or denied ,the DLA payment for the month is tomorrow (Tues 22nd) ,I am now worried that there won't be any DLA payment tomorrow & that whatever has happened has had an effect on CA ,however once again I turned to the dot Gov website & it says on there DLA will continue to be rewarded while the PIP claim is being reviewed ,(we haven't received the relative paper work for the PIP claim yet and the deadline for claiming was the 23rd October which we have already applied for on the 16th over the telephone)

Is it likely the DWP have stopped the DLA award straight away & started a brand new claim for PIP ?(surely the done thing would be to transition from one to the other nothing has changed in my sons disability) ,i can't seem to find any relative information from the DWP or dot Gov websites

I had hoped for a smooth transition from DLA to PIP but so far its been nothing short of distressing ,my Son's disability is a life condition only physio can go so far ,he still needs me to drive him to school,bathe him ,cook for him ,help him dress ,wash his clothing ,do his daily physio anything from consultant appointments to hospital visits

So my question for all ,has anybody else had the problems listed above ?

We have a hospital visit tomorrow & I am doing my best to keep smiling but all this worry is causing untold concern & distress

Kind Thanks

D

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 3,175 Championing

Hi,

DLA doesn't transition to PIP in the same way that legacy benefits transition to UC.

It is as you say, one stops and the other starts. Hopefully the missed CA payment means that they have awarded him PIP. Best thing to do is just wait it out today and see if you get a DLA payment tomorrow.

You could call the PIP telephone line to ask if a decision has been made on your sons claim, but they won't always tell you.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,514 Championing

As you only started the PIP claim last Wednesday I'd say it's very highly unlikely that he's been awarded already. They will send out the PIP2 form first and you should receive that within the next couple of weeks.

For the carers allowance, I really wouldn't like to guess what the reason was for not receiving payment this week.

His DLA will continue until a decision is made on the PIP.