Gross Motor Function Classification System — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gross Motor Function Classification System

Guest Community member Posts: 1,968 Listener
edited May 2014 in Cerebral palsy
Hi everyone,

My sons Physio has just told us that he is a level 4 on the Gross Motor Function Classification System. I am just wondering has anyone else's child been given their level on this System? and has their child stayed at this Level or improved? Also would like to talk to any parents of older children that may be a level 4 to see how they have gotten on.

Sorry about the big string of Questions. My Son is 19 months at present and has dystonic quadriplegia CP.

Many thanks

Alicia

Comments

• fi
    fi Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi everyone,

My sons Physio has just told us that he is a level 4 on the Gross Motor Function Classification System. I am just wondering has anyone else's child been given their level on this System? and has their child stayed at this Level or improved? Also would like to talk to any parents of older children that may be a level 4 to see how they have gotten on.

Sorry about the big string of Questions. My Son is 19 months at present and has dystonic quadriplegia CP.

Many thanks

Alicia
  • mafala
    mafala Community member Posts: 71 Listener
    My son was at level 4 and I think he still is. Nobody told me but I looked at the scale and worked it out. It did upset me because I remember it said something about needing a power chair when older. Well, that has come true but nearly 5 years on it has become a focus for celebration because it will give my son some much needed independency. Apart from that he's talking, joking, swearing, playing computer and learning to read. He's just started to be able to build with big Lego's so his hand function has improved massively. Those classification systems are there to scare us rather than reassure us. All children are individuals and they're all able to develop and amaze us. I now stay well clear from anything written about CP or charts because I know that my son is unique as he is.
  • mafala
    mafala Community member Posts: 71 Listener
    I know the lull so well! My son's neurologist explained that that's really normal for children with CP. Sometimes it would feel like weeks where nothing happens and then a lot happens at once. My son has surprised everybody including me. This summer he's been getting around in his bronco walker like nobody's business and he insists that we 'walk' him everywhere. He tends to cross his legs but he knows that and is making a huge effort not to do it. He hasn't played computer very much - or bothered to read, for that matter. I guess he'll be doing a lot of that when he starts year 1.

It's a terrible waiting game in the first few years. I think things started to turn when he started mainstream nursery part time. Suddenly so much started to happen.
  • fi
    fi Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi Mafala,

You are so right. I think curiosity gets the better of me sometimes. I'm looking for someone to tell me what our live is going to be like 3 years down the road, then I'll feel I'm prepared.

Your son sounds like he it getting on extremely well. Thats all I would like for Finn is to be happy and independent. I really could not care less is he walks or not. He is still very young and we are having a bit of a lull in his development. I don't know weather you ever noticed this with your son, but Finn will have a period when everything seems to be moving alone steadily and then a period of nothing happening.

Thank you for your advice.
  • stephgreen
    stephgreen Community member Posts: 28 Listener
    Hi there i have just been told my boy is possibly gonna be a level 4. He too has dystonic quad cp. Just wondering how your getting on. Jack is 16months old and is really bright alert but has probs with his movements. Hope to hear from you soon .

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.