I need some advise to do with my life — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I need some advise to do with my life


I am 20 years old and have cerebral palsy which is mild but still hurts when I walk. I have never used a wheel chair or walking aids in my life how ever now i am older i have been able to think about my life.

I feel as if I am at a disadvantage because my walking is so good ( I know thats selfish but sometimes i would prefer to be that little bit worse so i can sit down) but I am in pain but am still able to walk 40 minutes at a time with a dog etc. If I go on holiday or to london for a day my (more than 4 hours on my feet) my feet get a burning sensation and I cant do anything about it or use a wheel chair as i dont have one. Would crutches help?

I am on low dla and had to pay for my adaptions for my car so feel so left out that I cant get a mobility car. It will benefit my independance as I dont leave home that often and my friends live far away.

It has taken me longer to improve my independance and I have only just worked out in my head that I am capable of getting buses and trains!! but cant get a free bus pass, which again is annoying cos it would encourage me to leave the house more.

I dont do a lot of walking except to walk the dog for 40 minutes or to go to the gym. If I dont walk at my own pass I risk falling over, which i constantly do at home cos i rush around inside.

So should I try for a blue badge?? I feel as if it will benefit me eventually especially when I have a full time job and am not sitting at home as much, I will come home tired and will probably have to relax on the weekends.



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.