DEEP BRAIN Stimulation for Dystonia/Athetoid’s — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DEEP BRAIN Stimulation for Dystonia/Athetoid’s

Options
My_angel
My_angel Community member Posts: 18 Listener
edited May 2014 in Cerebral palsy
Hello,

Has anyone went through DBS or know somebody who had it, any feedbacks please? we have been offered by Dr to help reduce athetoids /dystonia. Just hoping to hear anyones experience? Evidence shows quite a good results but the procedure is quite scare to me. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Options
    Deep Brain surgery is increasingly being offered to children and adults with dystonia or dystonic cerebral palsy because the results can be very effective. I understand why it seems scary. I know you posted this some time ago but if you are still considering the operation, I would ask your Consultant to talk it through with you in more detail and also ask if you can speak to any of his patients who have had DBS to ask them their experiences and results.
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Options
    All sounds very interesting, I had never heard of Deep Brain Stimulation before. I will have to do some research on it. Thanks for your post. Please let us know what else you find out.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.