Parents, carers and disabled parents
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


JimJamsJimJams Member Posts: 175 Listener
I read a statistic that said 85% of marriages break up when a child is diagnosed autistic. I can see why and struggle to keep going myself. We had periods where one partner was feeling ok and supported the other when they were down, but for weeks now my husband and I have felt we are at the end of our rope and non of us can support the other. Any advice on how to survive this would be helpful.


  • Natasha BrownNatasha Brown Member Posts: 112 Courageous
    i am not a good example for you...separated...

    but go to relate, or similar therapyy, counselling and talk .

    and get respite so you can go out together
  • Natasha BrownNatasha Brown Member Posts: 112 Courageous
    how old is your child?
    do you have other children?
    do you both work?
    what respite do you have?
  • EAAVF2FEAAVF2F Member Posts: 3
    Are there any support groups in your area for parents with additional needs. We had difficulties but we found that these kinds of groups very helpful.
    Have you thought of contacting the National Autism Society they may be able to provide help/support as well.
    We know how difficult it can be but hang in there. It does get better. Just ensure you get as much support from schools, social care etc as you can.
  • JuliaYJuliaY Member Posts: 2
    Ask for an assesssment for care package from social services.
  • JimJamsJimJams Member Posts: 175 Listener
    edited June 2014
    My son is 7, I am trying to get help for social services, but my husband is not keen on our son staying away overnight with another family so i will try and get him to consider the outreach service, I think he might be depressed, will try and talk to him, but seems hopeless, I cant bear the though of separation, will try what you all have suggested like getting out, he just wont do anything
  • Natasha BrownNatasha Brown Member Posts: 112 Courageous
    he doesnt have to go straight to staying overnight. you would build up to that.
    start with help during daytime!

    get your h to GP to go thru depression questionnaire - if he meets criteria but doesnt want meds gp can prescribe gym exercise therapy .

    but do something take charge march your h to gp so h can see you cannot continue.

Sign in or join us to comment.